Solder USB stick to mainboard?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by mas, Dec 18, 2008.

1. mas

mas

Hello,

Is it possible to solder the inside of an usb stick to the mainboard? I got several cheap 8GB usb memory sticks and already put one apart. So my idea is to solder that 45x22x3mm stick without usb socket of course to that CN11 connector or to one of the other usb sockets? Is there enought space for that little card inside the A110?

Sorry if that was asked before but I couldn't find anything and I have to wait a few more days for my acer and need to know what's possible and what's just stupid :p

thanks
    Mas

mas, Dec 18, 2008
  2. mas

rory

Definitely, you could solder two into the wasted space where the 3g card should be.
    Rory

rory, Dec 18, 2008
  3. mas

adrianaitken

Planning on doing this this weekend if I recover from Friday's Christmas party !!! Installed XP Pro on a Sony Microvault (nice size) but it's as slow as the SSD. Just delivered today is a Super Talent Pico C 8GB which is even smaller. Planning on soldering it to the wifi USB connection since it really should be a direct connection not via a hub (I've read). Best thing is it's 30Mb/s read and write.
    Once I've installed XP on it, I'll take off the casing (only there for protection anyway) and stick it to the motherboard and wire it up to the USB connectors.

adrianaitken, Dec 18, 2008
Ask a Question