Software development / coding on AA1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by clay, Aug 19, 2008.

1. clay

clay

So I'd like to use my AA1 for a little more than web surfing and AIM. VI, Emacs and the standard command line tools allow for fairly easy hacking in minimal space, but jeeze, I never thought I'd get so lost in that tiny screen.

Does anyone have thoughts on developing in such a small space? Are there any extra tools that might help?

clay, Aug 19, 2008
  2. clay

janss

There's a load of software development tools for Linux, just Google around a bit and try to find something that will suit you.

For me, all I need is nano :geek:

janss, Aug 20, 2008
  3. clay

adcomp

for me yakuake and geany ..

yakuake is a 'quake like terminal' : http://yakuake.uv.ro/
    [​IMG]

geany is a text editor using the GTK2 toolkit with basic features of an integrated development environment : http://geany.uvena.de/
    [​IMG]

Bye ..

adcomp, Aug 20, 2008
  4. clay

gbee

I'll be giving Kdevelop a go, since it's what I use on all my other machines, it might be too cluttered for the One, even in fullscreen mode and with unneeded toolbars hidden. If that is the case then I'll try Kate or emacs.

gbee, Aug 20, 2008
  5. clay

ruckus

@adcomp

can geany be customized better for a smaller screen. If the user could remove the text form the toolbar buttons, and maybe dock the terminal to the right side of the window it would leave a lot more vertical space for code, which is the most important direction for code.

ruckus, Aug 20, 2008
  6. clay

adcomp

Yes .. :D
    Yes .. text + icon , only text , only icon ( big or small ) , or simply hide
    No .. ( this isn't only terminal.. message status, compile output and note ) but you can show/hide quickly
    You can show/hide all panel/bar with keyboard shortcut and switch in fullscreen mode too .. try it ;)

ps: I don't really use terminal in geany .. If you don't like 'yakuake' , take a look at ' yeahconsole ' or ' tilda ' ( Quake-style terminals )

My 2 cents ..

David [a.k.a] ADcomp .. from Belgium

adcomp, Aug 21, 2008
  7. clay

Altermac

Use Eclipse:
    I use EasyEclipse PHP-Distro and XAMPP-Linux as Web-Server.
    The Screen is a bit small for all windows, but for some code changes "in the field" it's good enough.

Altermac, Aug 21, 2008
  8. clay

lightpost

You've never seen cluttered until you've opened KDevelop on an EeePC 2G. :lol:
    The extra screen real estate on the AAO is a real godsend for that program (and QT4 Designer), but a little too late for me as I've grown to love barebones Python coding. Bottom line is the AAO is absolutely IDEAL for programmers, since the screen is large enough for most uses and the portability can't be beat. :p

lightpost, Aug 21, 2008
  9. clay

GavinK151

hi,

Did you guys just install Eclipse from the add/remove programs after enabling advanced mode?

GavinK151, Sep 9, 2008
  10. clay

Altermac

Look for Easyeclipse:
    You can get easyeclipse as gzip-file. I only expanded the downloaded file to /opt/eclipse and started working. Easyeclipse is a bundle with typical plugins. Eclipse is a bit cluttered for the small screen, but it works for me. My Workspace resides on an USB-Stick, made it easier to transport the files between desktop and AA1.

Added an Xampp (apachefriends.org) as webserver. Xampp for Linux is easier to install an configure than getting the right packages for Apache, mysql and tools.

Xampp and Easyeclipse is all I need to do some work "on the road".

Altermac, Sep 9, 2008
  11. clay

Vishika

I'm running KDevelop. I can't get it to use terminal. In the text field under "terminal emulation" in settings I've typed "Terminal", this doesn't seem to work.
    It's quite a trival problem, does anyone know how to get terminal emulation for KDevelop (I'm using the default linpus)?

Vishika, Sep 20, 2008
  12. clay

adcomp

maybe " xfterm4 " or " konsole " ..?

adcomp, Sep 20, 2008
Ask a Question