soft Lockup

Discussion in 'Linux' started by quindo, Sep 1, 2008.

1. quindo

quindo

Hello,

I'm trying to tailor a debian install to my aspire one.
    Since my girlfriend also uses the aspire one I want to leave the installed Acer Linpus System in place.
    So I installed (using debootstrap) debian unstable (sid) on a usb stick (2GB or 8Gb) and use Extlinux to boot it.
    It was working fine but since a few days I keep getting soft lockups while booting the kernel (2.6.26-1).
    I've tried 2.6.24 and 2.6.18 and only 2.6.18 can even boot on the AA1.
    Even an previous install that used to work now simply does a soft lockup (right after populating /dev).

Don't really know why this happend :-(
    Anyone have any ideas what I can do?

quindo, Sep 1, 2008
  2. quindo

quindo

Hmm, seem to have "solved" my own problem.

I had forgotten about the 8gb SDHC (class 6) card inserted into the left sd-reader (storage-expansion).
    With the card inserted only kernel 2.6.18 would boot, without it 2.6.26 also boots.
    Not really a nice workaround but it will suffice for now.

quindo, Sep 1, 2008
  3. quindo

topology change

I also got soft lockups using Debian Testing including kernel linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 when booting with a SDHC card inserted. Didn't try with a 2.6.18 kernel. Was able to boot okay without the card inserted.

Didn't try that hard to find a Debian fix (should have done) and instead installed Xunbuntu.

topology change, Sep 25, 2008
Ask a Question