So many paths to Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by sanger, Aug 25, 2008.

1. sanger

sanger

I'm new to Linux and one of the most confusing things so far is the multitude of different paths to seemingly the same files.

e.g. I can find the folder containing Documents, Music, Pictures, Downloads, Files etc in:
    1) My Disk:///
    2) Removable:///disk
    3) /home/user
    4) /mnt/home

and I'm sure other places as well. I plan to find myself a Fedora Linux book asap but in the meantime can someone give a quick explanation to the difference between all the paths. Are they really all the same. Sometimes I'll copy a file to one path and it appears in some but not all of the above paths.

Thanks

sanger, Aug 25, 2008
  2. sanger

rbil

The confusion comes about because you are using a SD card in the left port. Linpus extends its SSD drive to this port/SD card, causing a duplication of the folders on the card. However, that card is mounted as a removable disk and also under its own mount point.

Cheers.

rbil, Aug 25, 2008
  3. sanger

annafil

sanger, to addon to the above comment

/home/user is your built in memory
    /mnt/home is the extended SD card memory
    My Disk:/// is the two of the above linked into a virtual filesystem together (I think whichever has more space gets priority)
    Removable:///disk is your SD card again, so it's the same as /mnt/home

Generally speaking, there's no need to worry about these, they sort themselves out if you continue to use the built in file manager and the shortcuts on the left for "Documents, videos" etc.

You can use the ezcopy feature to move stuff from internal memory to sd card if you really want to (available in the file manager itself, under File)

Possibly the only time you need to know the difference is when your browser asks you where to save files, or where to upload files from, because that popup file selector does NOT support the combined "My Disk:///" so you'll need to remember if its on your itnernal memory or the sd card.

That said, if you use ezcopy to keep most files on oen or the other, you should be fine :)

Hope this helps, cheers!

annafil, Aug 25, 2008
  4. sanger

sanger

Thanks, that clarified things. One difference I did notice is that trying to set your wallpaper to a file in "My Disk:///Pictures" did not work probably because the SD card had not finished mounting during the boot-up. Changing the path to /home/user/Pictures worked fine.

sanger, Aug 26, 2008
  5. sanger

madeyemoody

correct me if I'm wrong, but /mnt/home is the same as 'MyDisk'. SD card only is:
    /media/disk
    on my system

still this is a bit confusing...

madeyemoody, Aug 26, 2008
  6. sanger

annafil

Right you are. I assumed it was a logical system, and I was wrong lol.

/mnt/home IS the internal memory. Which begs the question of why it's there at all!

annafil, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question