So how can I upgrade a Laptop?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by NeroFerk, Apr 4, 2014.

1. NeroFerk

NeroFerk

So I was wondering how can I upgrade an old laptop? Is there a way to change the Graphic's card for it? If not then is there a way to play new games with it? I have a good laptop just a sucky graphic's card.

NeroFerk, Apr 4, 2014
  2. NeroFerk

Patrick Shah

Hey,

It actually depends on your specifications of your laptop. Most of the time, you are unable to do it because of its compatibility.
    I know this may be a bit off but I would strongly suggest you purchase a PC because its more cheaper than just buying a laptop for playing games.
    However, there are refurbished laptops that are affordable if you consider trading in your old laptop.

Patrick Shah, Apr 4, 2014
  3. NeroFerk

babyleans

for gaming purposes a pc is always the better option. a pc can handle games well compared to a laptop. get a good pc and a good graphics card and you'll be set.

babyleans, Apr 5, 2014
  4. NeroFerk

mikelouis

It depends on how the graphics are installed. Some are embedded in the motherboard that makes it hard to change it. You can go for a desktop that is way easy to upgrade. Laptops can be hard.

mikelouis, Apr 5, 2014
  5. NeroFerk

NeroFerk

Well you see I bought a nice laptop when I was in America. As of recently I moved to a different country and the prices for electronics are like 10x more expensive here than America. So the best I could buy in PC terms is a Lenovo Desktop with intergrated Graphic card (not even a good one) 1GB ram, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz core processor and like 200 gb hard drive. Also my laptop was busted but I am about to repair it and it doesn't have a good graphic's card. It is a Lenovo P400 touch with 8 GB Ram , 1 Terabyte hard drive, Intel HD graphics 4000 and I7 core processor. I just wanted to know if a graphics card can be replaced on this laptop.

NeroFerk, Apr 5, 2014
  6. NeroFerk

Maledictum

Sadly, on most of them, no. Seeing as how you have an Intel HD graphics 4000 I would recommend just getting a gaming pc/building one. I have intel HD graphics and specs like your's, less ram and I can barely run games like WoW with it. I like laptops but for most of my gaming needs I use a pc because you can spend the same money you would for a decent laptop and have yourself a pretty banging setup, depending on if you're building it yourself and making smart, economical decisions.

Maledictum, Apr 6, 2014
  7. NeroFerk

NeroFerk

By the way is there a way to figure out if my motherboard can handle a new upgrade or not?

NeroFerk, Apr 6, 2014
  8. NeroFerk

mjhunter23

Hi it would usually deepens on the laptop itself. For instance many of Apples more recent laptops have welded part into the computer to prevent you from changing the parts, that's actually why I bought a PC instead of a mac a couple years ago. My advice would be go into a computer shop and show them your laptop and ask them about the upgrade possibilities. You might even be able to just buy a card and put it in yourself which would save you some money!

mjhunter23, Apr 9, 2014
  9. NeroFerk

useruser

the best way to upgrade your old laptop is to re-install your OS and add more RAM. A new fresh version of your OS will improve the speed of your computer significantly. More RAM will make your computer work much more smoothly when running demanding programs.

useruser, Apr 13, 2014
Ask a Question