So glad it's 2009 and computers now just work

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Amused, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Amused

Amused

The title is sarcasm. Sorry for going on a rant in my third posting but I'm desperate.

I got my AA1 150L yesterday. I want to use it as a dual boot system with XP and Eeebuntu. I have a 1 gig Samsung and a 4 gig Sandisc usb stick. After about 6 hours of reading in forums and reading tutorials and browsing through obscure Unix mailing lists and just trying to make one stick bootable, I'm about to give up.

I've tried Unetbootin on Linpus to copy the Eeebuntu image to the Sandisk. When I tried to run it I got a dependency error (this dependency shit is what drove me away from Linux years ago). So, I tried to copy FeeDos to the Sandisk via my Mac with the dd command. Got the weirdest errors. Google didn't help. This morning I finally have access to an XP box (though not connected to the internet). Tried to format the Sandisk. The installation instructions for Ron's TinyXP say I have to format the usb stick to Fat in order for the procedure to work. The Sandisk is too big for that. So I format the Samsung via the HP tool (after reading by chance that doing this with XP might destroy the drive :eek: ). I run Unetbootin and point it to the FreeDos image I've downloaded. Everythings seems to work. I boot up the AA1 with the usb drive inserted and selected as boot device the boot countdown runs and... resets when it reaches 1. Hitting Enter gives the same result. I repeat the process and get the same result. Do I have two brand name usb sticks that are both not able to boot FreeDos? What's going on here?

I'm feeling like it's 1998 again and I'm trying to install Win95 and Suse Linux 6 on an K6 Via Apollo box. The horror! Only this time it's much worse, since I don't even get a f***ing installer to run.

Please help.

A.

Amused, Jan 31, 2009
  2. Amused

Guest Guest

For Ron's image a stick with FAT32 works as well as long it's a bootable stick!

Guest, Feb 5, 2009
  3. Amused

Amused

I finally managed to install both XP and Eeebuntu without any further hassle by using a friend's external usb dvd drive. By the way. Ron's TinyXP runs super smooth on my machine. Thank you very much!!!

:D

Amused, Feb 5, 2009
  4. Amused

Guest Guest

you're welcome my friend

greetz
    Ron

Guest, Feb 7, 2009
Ask a Question