So FAT32 when installing xp instead of NTFS?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by SPCartmanland, Nov 27, 2008.

1. SPCartmanland

SPCartmanland

does this make a huge deal b/c i already formatted it to ntfs . whats the benefits of fat32 one the aspire one?

SPCartmanland, Nov 27, 2008
  2. SPCartmanland

dale

faster boot up and reduced lagging time.

dale, Nov 27, 2008
  3. SPCartmanland

myuusmeow

But! You can't have any files bigger than 4GB on FAT32. So ISOs (I know what you're thinking, this thing has no DVD burner or even drive, but what about mounting ISOs onto virtual drives?) of DVDs won't work as they are usually 4.7GB, large zipped files, etc. won't work with FAT32.

myuusmeow, Nov 27, 2008
  4. SPCartmanland

wchafe

Also note that file permissions do not exist on FAT32 partitions, so if you need this feature you'll have to use NTFS.

wchafe, Nov 28, 2008
  5. SPCartmanland

TheBigCheese

Don't do it. NTFS is several orders of magnitude more robust than FAT32. In my experience, it's almost impossible to mess up the file system when you get a blue screen. freeze up, or memory error while FAT will often lost large portions of it's files and even worse corrupt them without any warning.

TheBigCheese, Nov 29, 2008
  6. SPCartmanland

info

If you go to FAT 32 you may have trouble with backup software when it tries to make files that exceed the file limitations (I believe that the above poster is correct about the 4 Gigs). I would not do that.

info, Nov 29, 2008
  7. SPCartmanland

JimmiG

If you have the mechanical harddrive version, you should go with NTFS since it's more robust, more powerful and the standard file system for XP and Vista.

On the SSD version, the recommendation is to go with FAT32. NTFS is a journaling file system which means it keeps a journal (duh!) of intended changes, before actually performing those changes. This results in more writes, and as we all know, write speed of the Intel SSD that most Ones ship with is..well, not optimal :p
    NTFS will also wear out the SSD faster because of all the logs, journaling, extra attributes etc. that get written. By default, XP makes the file system even more "chatty" by also updating the "Last Accessed" attribute every time a file is read. This means that every file read is also a write operation. NTFS also includes safeguards against fragmentation and other optimizations to improve performance of mechanical drives, which is basically pointless when using a SSD. FAT32 on the other hand is a much simpler, more straightforward file system that works well enough on 8GB drives such as the built-in SSD.

JimmiG, Nov 29, 2008
  8. SPCartmanland

info

That makes sense of the matter. Interesting.

info, Nov 29, 2008
Ask a Question