Snow Leopard on AOA110 (ZG5) : piece of cake and easy as pie

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Nov 6, 2009.

1. SbM

SbM

If you want to install Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on your AOA110, here's the easy way to do it:

1- Follow the how-to at http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi1.shtml but use NetBookBootMaker 0.8.3 RC4 instead of RC3 (http://netbook-installer.googlecode.com ... C4.app.zip). Also, download the 10.6.2 update from Apple's website and copy the .pkg contained in the .dmg to your install media (just like you did for the 10.6.1 update .pkg)
    1b- Install the 10.6.2 update just like you installed the 10.6.1 update
    2- If you need a proper French keyboard, I created one (FrAspireOneSL.keylayout) that you can copy to ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts
    3- Install "AboutThisMac.pkg" found in this NetBookCD iso : http://osx.mechdrew.com/downloads/NCD_1.1_snow.iso
    4- Install "voodooHDA.kext" and "RealtekR1000.kext" with Kext Helper (http://web.mac.com/v1.42ghz/Kext_Helper ... r%20b7.zip). I used the .kext from the "voodooHDAwprefpane" package (http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.p ... attach=161), this one is slightly bigger than the other one, I don't know why. The ethernet kext is here : http://community.psystar.com/static/ope ... 1.kext.zip
    5- To get wired ethernet to work, reboot and type the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo find /System/Library/Extensions -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    sudo find /System/Library/Extensions -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
    sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

6. Reboot. The screen will now be 800x600. To fix this run /Applications/NetbookInstaller and check only "Install general extensions"
    7- Reboot again… done!

What doesn't work:
    *** webcam (reported to work on someone else's machine - different webcam models ?)
    *** audio mic
    *** sleep/hibernate
    *** external mirroring display (reported to work, didn't succeed on my machine)

What does work:
    *** WiFi : works out of the box with a DW1390-type card
    *** Wired ethernet (including hotplug and all)
    *** SD card : both readers work if the card is inserted before boot (tried voodooSDHC.kext, doesn't help)
    *** audio output
    *** USB

Thanks to rory for pointing us to the NetBookBootMaker solution, and to those who posted the ethernet-fix. Good work, guys!

SbM, Nov 6, 2009
  2. SbM

baallrog

Have you try the installation with usb external dvd drive or with usb stick ?

I try with usb stick but it failed ...

I've got this message at first boot :

boot0: error

This is not the first boot after the installation, this is the boot before installation ...

baallrog, Nov 12, 2009
  3. SbM

SbM

With external USB hard drive, not DVD. You have to follow the appropriate how-to to install from a USB stick.

Just updated my post for 10.6.2 install.

SbM, Nov 12, 2009
  4. SbM

baallrog

baallrog, Nov 12, 2009
  5. SbM

mediamgl

I upgraded the RAM and changed the wifi card (Dell 1390) in my AAO ZG5, then followed this tutorial.

Worked perfectly. I now have 10.6.2 on my machine with working webcam, speakers, mic, etc. Only issue that I have noticed so far is that iChat crashes when I go to set video chat preferences. Any thoughts? Skype works fine, btw.

Thanks.

mediamgl, Nov 16, 2009
  6. SbM

chuckcalo

This is working with a USB Stick. Just installed.

chuckcalo, Nov 20, 2009
  7. SbM

chuckcalo

After this step I'm getting a Kernel Panic. Any help ?

chuckcalo, Nov 21, 2009
  8. SbM

SbM

What release of NetBookInstaller are you using?

SbM, Nov 21, 2009
  9. SbM

chuckcalo

Ok turned out I used RC3 instead of RC4. I have a new problem tho, internet seems to fall after 6 seconds I'm connected, this is either with WiFi (DW1390) or ETHERNET. Any tips ?

chuckcalo, Nov 21, 2009
  10. SbM

SbM

Weird. I never encountered such a bug, sorry.

SbM, Nov 21, 2009
  11. SbM

chuckcalo

Sadly I couldn't get it fixed, even tried reinstalling 3 times with the same results so either my install dvd was broken or I was just having bad luck. I digged around a bit on the internet and found out I wasn't alone and a bunch of people were having problems with internet after installing Snow Leopard (either upgrading or clean installing it), on my last hope I tried MIRROR display to my sadness it didn't work either so I just moved back to Ubuntu for the moment until there's a new patch that can fix the so called internet bug and maybe a better display driver. Thanks for support tho :).

chuckcalo, Nov 22, 2009
  12. SbM

SbM

Mirror display is a bitch to get working (I didn't succeed), but network connectivity (either ethernet or wifi, if you changed the card) should work fine.

SbM, Nov 22, 2009
  13. SbM

ahovis

I followed you method and everything worked great. Since I did not need wired ethernet at the time I did not enter the commands in step 5. The other day I had a need to connect via wired ethernet so I ran the code and boy am I sorry! I now have NO wireless which was working just fine before and I can not get my screen resolution back! Any way to undo whatever those commands did???

ahovis, Nov 23, 2009
  14. SbM

SbM

Well you probably made a mistake when you typed them, so we would need to know what you did wrong...

SbM, Nov 23, 2009
  15. SbM

ahovis

No, copied and pasted from this forum. However I did a "repair permissions" on the disk and all is OK now except I can not connect via wired ethernet. The network control panel seems to be ok and the light comes on when I plug in the cable but no connection. Any ideas?

ahovis, Nov 23, 2009
  16. SbM

SbM

Well obviously the "repair permissions" thing was not the right thing to do, since it's the only one that differs from the tutorial. Try again without performing it.

SbM, Nov 23, 2009
  17. SbM

my2cents

My web cam info. Mine works in photo booth and initial install when you are asked to select a picture for your user ID.

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB
    Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI
    PCI Device ID: 0x27cc
    PCI Revision ID: 0x0002
    PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086
    Bus Number: 0xfd

Acer Crystal Eye webcam:

Product ID: 0xd101
    Vendor ID: 0x064e (Suyin Corporation)
    Version: 0.01
    Serial Number: CN0316-M608-OV01-VA-R02.00.00
    Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: SuYin
    Location ID: 0xfd500000
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): 500

my2cents, Nov 24, 2009
  18. SbM

my2cents

My mic doesn't work. Perhaps this is the same issue as the web cam? Different models? I don't see the specs for it under system profiler... :(

Those of you with a working mic, can you post specs? What did you do to get it to work?

my2cents, Nov 24, 2009
  19. SbM

chuckcalo

I tried several times to install SL and the Internet seems to break after installing 10.6.2.

Is your WiFi led working btw?

chuckcalo, Nov 26, 2009
  20. SbM

moondevil

I successfully got my mic working today after much struggling. I removed all the audio kexts I had added over time and just installed voodoohda and the latest AppleHDA posted here: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18792

Skype now works a dream!!! Still on 10.6.1 at the moment, not seen the need to start hacking with kernels yet. ;)

moondevil, Nov 26, 2009
Ask a Question