Snow Leopard 10.6.1 - retail guide [outdated]

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SP1950, Jun 12, 2009.

1. SP1950

SP1950

Re: Snow Leopard 10.6.1 - retail guide

Are you using fakesmc v2? please update to v2 if you are at v1 or even using dsmos.

the launchctl thing is normal ( at least i have it in two computers), and the shutdown cause thing is also ok.

Sometimes sl will just screw up. I once had 40 sec of boot time, and i can't stand it. I reinstalled and the boot time is back to 16 sec.

SP1950, Oct 16, 2009
  2. SP1950

jakerrulz

thanks sp1950, ill check my mkext and s/l/e for dsmos and fakesmc

jakerrulz, Oct 16, 2009
  3. SP1950

kn3pp

neeeh.. my D250 has the resolution 1280x720, no worries :D (search for D250 wxga or what it said..)
    SL installer even recognized that res as far as i had time to see.. got KP a little bit into the install.. :/

kn3pp, Oct 16, 2009
  4. SP1950

kn3pp

a little status update.
    my machine: D250
    1280x720 res - Works
    Sound - works
    usb - works
    bluetooth - works (with tethering via my iPhone right now..)

Currently working on:
    WiFi - Broadcom 4312 - According to stuff ive read so far.. it SHOULD work
    As of now ive got an icon sittin in my menubar that can "turn off" the card.
    in system profiler it shows up as a pci-card but with no drivers loaded..
    ive tried stuff in the broadcom bcm43xx_enabler thread.. my guess is, that script is not
    compatible with snow leopard..

anyone knows anything about this broadcom card they put in the D250?

kn3pp, Oct 18, 2009
  5. SP1950

jakerrulz

ok, sorry to keep bringing up issue after issue but...
    i dont have a battery icon
    which kext should i install for that?

jakerrulz, Oct 19, 2009
  6. SP1950

kn3pp

voodooPower and voodooBattery is the ones i use..

kn3pp, Oct 19, 2009
  7. SP1950

jakerrulz

ok, thanks

jakerrulz, Oct 19, 2009
  8. SP1950

SP1950

FYI, you need only VoodooBattery OR AppleACPIBatteryManager to get the battery icon.
    VoodooPower is for cpu throttling only.
    I once used voodoopower but now I think it would not make a big difference since atom consumes only a few watts.
    Processing power is much important than the few extra minutes especially for a low end cpu.

SP1950, Oct 19, 2009
  9. SP1950

kn3pp

i agree..
    didnt know voodoopower thingy .. thanx ;)

But.. I need help with identifying and enable my wifi card:
    Code:
    ExpressCard:

Type:	Other Network Controller
      Driver Installed:	No
      Bus:	PCI
      Vendor ID:	0x14e4
      Device ID:	0x4315
      Subsystem Vendor ID:	0x105b
      Subsystem ID:	0xe01b
      Revision ID:	0x0001
      Link Width:	x1
      Link Speed:	2.5 GT/s
    I feel i've tried everything.. but i probably havnt.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/31585977@N08/4027360512/ -what the .. is this icon..
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/31585977@N08/4027359946/ current screenshot..

so what i need right now is help with my broadcom 4312 card ... anyone got lucky with this? The lenovo s10e is supposed to have the same card and they have it working..all seems to recommend the bcm43xx_enabler.sh thingy.. but this really doesnt work .. at all .. here..

kn3pp, Oct 19, 2009
  10. SP1950

kenzo

Installed SL 10.6 on my AOD250. It's the model with the 1280x720 screen. Used MechDrew's NBI USB via Any OS guide. Managed to get BT, webcam, sound working. Sound required VoodooHDA kext. Battery is showing time left properly and I have the same issue with the Power Off Card for the Wifi. I too have the BCM4312 card. Also upgraded to 10.6.2 via the combo update.

Having problems with the keyboard and mouse though. Neither work in OSX, currently using a USB mouse and keyboard for OSX. Kind of a pain. Any ideas or suggestions?

Also how about do I properly install and remove kexts? Kind of confused as to whether I install them in the Extras folder NBI created, or in the S/L/Extensions folder. The latter requires an app like Kext Helper b7 I gathered.

Kind of out of ideas at the moment...
    Is NBI supposed not recognize the Aspire One notebooks and install "General Extensions"? Just curious if that has any effect on the kexts installed.

kenzo, Mar 18, 2010
  11. SP1950

TonyMontana

Kenzo have you tried re-running the netbook installer from your app folder and rebooting? Also which version of NBI did you use? It's possible the newest version of NBI ( which is a "pre" release ) might have broken your keyboard. I used NBI 0.8.3. Keyboard works fine.

TonyMontana, Mar 19, 2010
  12. SP1950

kenzo

Thanks for the reply!
    I used 0.8.3F NBI. Yep, re-ran NBI (numerous times in fact) and rebooted. Still nothing. Been trying some kexts, but none seem to be working. Although my boot times have been loooong. Hopefully it's only due to the kext installs and not a permanent thing. :shock:

Not sure if it matters, but the kb and mouse weren't working from the beginning. When I first installed OSX, it wasn' working on the install screen. Works in Chameleon and W7 though.

When I have some time, I think I'll look more into the whole kext/mkext business. Still would be nice if the KB and mouse were working though...it's a pain carrying a kb around with me all the time. :|

kenzo, Mar 19, 2010
  13. SP1950

yohko101

What i did to get my keyboard working was to get the old ps2 keyboard kext fix from iDeneb install disk. I placed it on the /Extra Folder in the hidden EFI partition. I also compiled my own mkext in that same folder.

Hope this helps.

yohko101, Mar 19, 2010
  14. SP1950

aliahlewis

May be I am asking it in the wrong thread or may be it's off topic here. I wanted to ask that how can I enable my virtual keyboard in my tablet pc?? I have downloaded xvkbd and tried to enable it but I am failed to do so. IF anyone have the solution than please help me out..

aliahlewis, Mar 20, 2010
  15. SP1950

kenzo

The old ps2 keyboard kext fix from the iDeneb install disk eh? Where abouts is the /Extra folder in the hidden EFI partition. I'm assuming it's not the same /Extra folder as the one under the OSX hdd...or is it?
    How did you compile your own mkext? I think I understand the concept of compiling mkext and all, but I'm a little confused as to how to do it. So far most of the places I've read to do it, usually had just an app to do it. I take it that compiling requires the use of Terminal. I'll see if i can find more info about that.

Currently I tried installing other drivers, but it kind of messed up my SL install. Made the boot up extremely long. Tried to reinstall SL, but messed up the partitions it seems and now Chameleon won't boot, and instead boots straight into Windows regardless of the Active partition. So instead of messing with GParted a, I'm just going to nuke the drive and reinstall everything. :twisted:

I'll try to find the iDeneb ps2 keyboard fix and install it into the /Extra folder that NBI created. Then run the app to compile the kexts (the app with the sneaker icon). Hopefully that works. I'll probably work on that tomorrow at work, post back my results. Hopefully it'll work, fingers crossed.

kenzo, Mar 22, 2010
  16. SP1950

yohko101

actually, you might just need to put the old kext on the /Extra folder that NBI created. I'm assuming they run the latest version of chameleon that loads the /extra kext on boot. that way you wont need to compile your own mkext.

By the way, in order for you to compile your own mkext, you'll need a running 10.6 system. i don't think 10.5 compiles the mkext properly for 10.6 (in the terminal window atleast).

Good luck!

yohko101, Mar 22, 2010
  17. SP1950

kenzo

So I reinstalled everything and now I'm trying to work on the keyboard and trackpad situation.

I have iDeneb (the iso), but I'm not sure how to extract the specific kexts from the iso. I tried mounting it in OSX and check the pkg, but I couldn't find any kexts. Not sure if I need a program or something to extract the kext files.

Also I noticed that the iDeneb Install Disk has a PS2 Controller fix as well. Would that be the one I have to apply? Or would I use just the old PS2 Controller/KB kext?

I'll try throwing the kext in the /Extra folder that NBI created and run the Update program first (After I find the kext of course). Running 10.6, so if I do need to compile my mkext, I should be alright.

Thanks again! Will update once I make some progress.

Edit: I'm trying to locate the original ApplePS2Controller.kext to see if that works.

Also another note about my KB/Mouse situation, the mouse pointer is always in the upper-left corner of the screen when OSX boots up. Not sure if that matters or anything. I recall coming across a post from somewhere with the same situation.

kenzo, Mar 23, 2010
  18. SP1950

yohko101

there is a program called pacifist that you can download for free. it lets you choose to install certain packages from the install disc whether ideneb or OSX.

yohko101, Mar 30, 2010
Ask a Question