Sneaky trick employed by Microsoft in latest windows 10 update.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by something back, Mar 9, 2016.

1. something back

something back

something back, Mar 9, 2016
  2. something back

nytegeek

I'm hardly surprised by this. The article is clearly biased however. Considering the amount of FUD online about Windows 10 these kind of tactics are probably viewed as nessacary by Microsoft. To many people refuse to upgrade for the wrong reasons entirely or for reasons that don't hold any water when examined from a tech perspective. Linux works well for most things if you really don't want to use Windows 10.

nytegeek, Mar 9, 2016
  3. something back

SirJoe

This is just one more reason people aren't really changing their browser usage. How does Microsoft expect to dominate the browser market if they do these under handed tricks.

SirJoe, Mar 9, 2016
  4. something back

Corzhens

I have seen lots of threads and even articles about Windows 10 which are fairly even in terms of bias and prejudice. There are fans of Windows 10 and some website have a free update installer although some posts are against Windows 10. Now, if it's abour promoting IE in Windows 10, that's not really bad at all to think that Microsoft had given us IE for free when Netscape was lording it over the browser game. So maybe it's a slight annoyance in Windows 10 but not really something to be peeved about.

Corzhens, Mar 10, 2016
  5. something back

nytegeek

Microsoft isn't expecting to dominate the browser market and it would be silly for anyone to think that they are or have any hope of doing so. As for tricks, this isn't all that underhanded, unusual, or even unique to Microsoft as far as marketing tactics go.

nytegeek, Mar 10, 2016
  6. something back

djtech

Lol! Microsoft is really trying hard to push Windows 10. Frankly, I don't see a problem with them marketing their own product on another one of their products. I am surprised people are still using IE. There are better browsers out there.

djtech, Mar 10, 2016
  7. something back

SirJoe

I think you are wrong, they certainly are trying to walk in that direction. It's an uphill climb and they just got new walking shoes. I am not going to move to edge anytime soon but I will keep an eye on it.
    https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/01/21/microsoft-edge-2015-in-review/

SirJoe, Mar 11, 2016
  8. something back

nytegeek

nytegeek, Mar 11, 2016
  9. something back

djtech

I think the time has come for lines to be drawn when it comes to how invasive a company can be. Even though I feel fine with the way microsoft marketed win 10 via their own browser, that's mainly because I am a marketer too and my opinion is biased. But as an everyday user, I don't want MS invading my privacy in any way and I take this kind of a tactic to be invasion of privacy.

djtech, Mar 12, 2016
  10. something back

Sefie

Not surprised at all to be honest. This is the kind of thing I'd expect from Microsoft during this stage. They got to get away with whatever they want however they can get it done. We will see what new tactic they will use.

Sefie, Mar 12, 2016
  11. something back

nytegeek

It's not any different then food companies that print recipes on their products that only list brands they own as ingredients. It's easy to get in a huff over nothing I guess.

nytegeek, Mar 12, 2016
  12. something back

rz3300

Well I cannot really say that I am too surprised to see that. It feels like these days advertisements have just made their way into all aspects of our daily lives. I was watching this Youtube video the other day and it was about 8 minutes long and there were five breaks for thirty second ads. I was amazed, but then again I just accepted it.

rz3300, Mar 12, 2016
  13. something back

fcuco

Windows 10 is free. Nothing is really free, common sense tells you that Microsoft is gaining something out of giving Windows 10 for free, they are a for profit corporation, not a foundation. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it would be crazy to believe that they are giving away stuff and not expecting something in return. Windows 10 is free like Facebook is free, you have to be very aware that maybe you are not paying money but you are going to pay somehow either in reduced privacy or by being exposed to ads.

fcuco, Mar 12, 2016
  14. something back

nytegeek

I'm not sure what your response has to do with the segment of my post that you quoted. I never said anything about it being free or thinking that Microsoft doesn't want anything in return. I'm well aware of how it works. The FUD I was referring to had nothing to do with that really. It's more the unreasonable fear based reactions to things that people don't actually understand and the blowing things out of proportion by people that don't have a clue when it comes to technology.

nytegeek, Mar 12, 2016
  15. something back

fcuco

But that was my point... people may be clueless when it comes to technology but they are not stupid, when all of the sudden a company like Microsoft decides to give away its main product for free you intermediately should become suspicious that something is going on. Are all these fear unfunded? I am not sure, but the more I read on well reputed sources about Windows 10, the less I like it, so maybe this time the people's perception may be right.

fcuco, Mar 13, 2016
Ask a Question