smallest o/s working with 3usb dongle and high usb2 transfer

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by cv65user, Jul 14, 2009.

1. cv65user

cv65user

what is the smallest o/s working with 3 e220w usb dongle and high usb2 transfer rate

hi i mainly use my a150l for checking emails with e220w three usb dongle . and transferring large video files from usb portable drives to other usb portable drives .

my main os is xp sp3 but i have tinyvista on a 5gb partition which i use to transfer files as its much faster then doing it in xp . so thats all i use vista for .

i have now come across , DSL linux which only takes 512mb space . i could do with wiping the 5gb vista partition as i only have a 160gb sata hdd in my a150-l and with video files i need the space. so i want to know , does the three usb e220w dongle work with dsl and what are dsls usb2 transfer speeds -if usb2 is supported ?

cv65user, Jul 14, 2009
  2. cv65user

RockDoctor

512 MB sounds awfully large for DSL; the iso is only 50MB, and I believe you can do a frugal install. Don't know if it'll work with your particular USB dongle, but Puppy Linux will fit on a 128MB USB (got one at home!) and can run entirely from RAM (even on a 512 MB system), so yu can remove the dongle from which yoou booted.

RockDoctor, Jul 21, 2009
  3. cv65user

cv65user

yes dsl is 150mb install . the tutorials states 200mb is sufficient for a hdd install . but i can give 500mb just to round it up . i would also install it to usb stick but i dont want to be carrying or have a usb stick sticking outside my laptop when i am travelling - can you give me how to to install to usb stick or you just use the one on dsl website , then maybe i can try your method if it is different and adapt to install to my hdd with grub boot loader

- if aao could boot off internal sd card, i could do it that way
    - there is tinycore which is 10mb but has next to no apps included . does puppy linux 128mb install have basic apps such as office/ tools ,etc ?

cv65user, Jul 22, 2009
  4. cv65user

DutchDK

Either change to an AAO D series (D150 and D250) netbook, which can boot from the SD cardreader, or split the install so /boot and the initial kernel and init are located on the internal SDD/HHD, and the rest of the distro is located on the SD card.

DutchDK, Jul 22, 2009
Ask a Question