Slow xp - pio mode?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by superfastkyle, Sep 21, 2008.

1. superfastkyle

superfastkyle

So I just got my aspire one ssd model a couple days ago. Put xp on it but it is really slow. I've tried the tips posted here but its still slow. I have noticed that under secondary ide controller in device manager it shows PIO Mode. Now I had a laptop before that did this with the optical drive so I assume this is the problem for the slowness. I've tried the pio fixes on the knowledge base but didn't work for me this time. So anything else short of starting all over again? I am using the eee xp torrent cause I have used it on my desktop with great results. Guess I can try full xp, or should I nlite my own? Any tips for using nlite xp? I might have to anyways as this seems to have dial-up networking taken out. I guess I need DUN to tether to my cell phone, correct?

superfastkyle, Sep 21, 2008
  2. superfastkyle

Tamrac

stripped versions of XP may work for others, but you'll be wasting alot of time making it work properly. Just install the plain vanilla XP Home SP3, and then turn off the unneeded services afterwards. Follow the usual tweask about fat32, xp drivers, swap file etc etc... good luck. :)

Try uninstalling the Drive controller entirely out of device manager. reboot. see if it's UDMA mode 4 now.

Tamrac, Sep 21, 2008
  3. superfastkyle

superfastkyle

When I remove "secondary IDE controller", it asks me to restart and comes back just as "IDE Controller" which doesnt show that advanced tab. So I can't see if its using dma. I can click update driver and it installs "Secondary ide controller" but still shows PIO

I guess if I can't get acceptable speed from the ssd I can take the hard drive out of my rio karma and use it. But I would be pretty worried about doing that until I have it at least a couple months. How much battery life would I lose doing this?

superfastkyle, Sep 22, 2008
  4. superfastkyle

Tamrac

XP works fine as long as you have UDMA 4 back..... I know this may be far fetched, but did you install the XP Intel Chipset drivers from the acer site?

Tamrac, Sep 22, 2008
  5. superfastkyle

superfastkyle

yes I installed the chipset drivers from the asus ftp site. I don't know either I shouldn't have installed the video drivers first (always do it first out of habit cause its hard to click on things at 640x480) or they somehow got corrupted. I used the same zip file on my new install and it worked fine.

thanks for the help... I was getting a little worried I made a huge mistake not getting the hd version but I think things will be good once I get everything installed and now that windows update seems to be finally done bringing my computer to its knees.

superfastkyle, Sep 23, 2008
  6. superfastkyle

Tamrac

That may be it. Install the Intel chipset drivers 1st.... and also, there's a balloon click on the initial xp startup to tell you to automatically switch the resolution. Mine did not use 640x480 at all, even without the grafix drivers installed yet. It's best to install XP home SP3, so that at least you know it has most of the current updates.

Tamrac, Sep 23, 2008
Ask a Question