slow read/write

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by OuTR, Jul 27, 2010.

1. OuTR

OuTR

Hello,

I recently purchased an A-Data S592 32GB SSD and installed it in an Acer Aspire One model 751H. 2GB of DDR2 and support for Sata II. The read/write speeds claim the drive can do 250/190 but when I run benching software such as HD Tune or CrystalMark, I get speeds along the lines of 52/50. These are incredibly slow speeds and are slower than many hard drives. I updated the Phoenix bios, flashed the drive firmware to the latest on their site, turned off all features that shouldn't be running on the OS,made sure TRIM was active, and have a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium on the drive but the speed remains the same. The drive is also aligned and works well, except for the slow speeds. I'm at my wits end here and have run out of ideas to fix this. A-data doesn't seem too keen in responding to emails. Any help to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Outr

OuTR, Jul 27, 2010
  2. OuTR

Swarvey Moderator

Try FlashFire, it's purpose is purely and simply to increase speeds on SSD's
    Make sure your chipset drivers are up to date in Windows.

Swarvey, Jul 27, 2010
  3. OuTR

OuTR

Thanks Swarvey, I'll give that a try.

OuTR, Jul 28, 2010
  4. OuTR

StevePritchard

I could be wrong here, but I wonder whether it's simply a limitation of the AO751h's chipset/design. I get similar results to you when I run HDTune on my WD SDD (About 50Mb/s), and my Windows experience didn't change much at all when I swapped from HDD to SSD. I wonder whether the internal interface is simply limited to 50Mb/s?

Cheers,

Steve.

StevePritchard, Jul 29, 2010
  5. OuTR

Swarvey Moderator

Could be a limitation of the chipset (would make sense, as it could save some battery time, and let's face it, these machines weren't built for speed, they were built for web browsing), but it could also be a limitation of the chipset drivers. See if there's an update available that will get you a bit more speed.

Swarvey, Jul 29, 2010
  6. OuTR

StevePritchard

By default the driver is the windows standard one dated 2006. I tried to force the installation of the latest Intel one, which appeared to work, but didn't result in any improvement in speed. I've put my HDD back in and run HDTune, and the performance maxes out at around 50Mb/s, so it looks like a limitation of the machine rather than the hard disk. Disappointing.

I'm still having locking issues on mine, despite the replacement of the mainboard, so it's back off for repair.

Cheers,

Steve.

StevePritchard, Jul 29, 2010
  7. OuTR

Swarvey Moderator

Second time today I've had to post it in a forum, but, bugger. 50mbps is a pretty crippling limitation. But with some confirmation behind it, I can put the information into our wiki.

Swarvey, Jul 29, 2010
  8. OuTR

StevePritchard

Yeah, I'm actually wondering whether it's worth putting the SSD back in the machine when I get it back. Obviously there are some benefits to the SSD from an access time point of view, and perhaps some increased battery life, but it seems a complete waste having the SSD performance throttled in that way.

Cheers,

Steve.

StevePritchard, Jul 30, 2010
Ask a Question