Slow networking and internet browsing issue

Discussion in 'Windows' started by 45cdorm, Jan 15, 2009.

1. 45cdorm

45cdorm

Hi!

I recently bought a aspire one win xp home sp3/160gb/1gb ddr2, but i have two problems with it.

1st---web page browsing seems to take ages....its a 6mb connection and there are no other comps using the wifi at the moment on my router so i dont understand why its so slow....takes like 3-8sec to load a page.

2nd----dont know if anyone else has had this....i have a small network at home and it seems to be extremely slow reading files and navigating trough shared folders....

Both of these could be related to the wife i gues....has anyone else had similar problems?.

Kind regards.

45cdorm, Jan 15, 2009
  2. 45cdorm

donec

Are you sure no one is using your home network? I mean illegally. Do you have a good password on it? Have you changed your password recently? Has it always been slow? Are you running a virus checker and spyware protection software? These are things that can slow down you access.

donec, Jan 15, 2009
  3. 45cdorm

45cdorm

My network is secure...but I do use the windows firewall and avg free virus protection......but i have read in other threads that other ppl have been having slow browsing also....i seem to remember there was some kind of patch that speeds things up.

Anyone else heard about that?

Cheers.

45cdorm, Jan 25, 2009
  4. 45cdorm

ThE gOg

i've also noticed this, i also have a small network with a windows home server etc and am experiencing the same slow browsing on the network and the web.

i bought the acer to replace a toshiba satellite laptop that was used for sofa surfing, and it is noticeably slower :?

if there is a patch around i would love to know about it :D

ThE gOg, Jan 25, 2009
  5. 45cdorm

goofball

check the usual power management setting for the wireless adapter and change it.

goofball, Jan 25, 2009
  6. 45cdorm

Forone

Did you get/install the replacement Atheros wi-fi driver from Microsoft Windows Update? It (and a RealTek audio update) appeared as an "optional" download the first time I went to Windows Update to update XP.

Some of the earlier BIOS versions also apparently caused wi-fi trouble in XP (mine with v. 3301 does not.)

Wi-fi should work very well - my AA1 wireless works just as well as my main PC, no noticeable difference from ethernet.

Forone, Jan 25, 2009
  7. 45cdorm

DynaMight

DynaMight, Jan 25, 2009
  8. 45cdorm

Dave in Eugene

I had intermittent slow networking the first couple months with my AAO. Similar setup I think, I had dumped the whole McAfee pkg and used AVG Free and Windows Firewall. The behavior was the same whether going through the WRT54G router or wired directly to the Motorola Expedience modem, measured on speedtest.net website throughput was a dismal 300 Kbps.

Tech support at the ISP had me try a few different things, the usual flushing the internet cache, redoing the ipconfig settings and so on. What ultimately fixed the problem was fairly simple - Turned off Windows Firewall, checked, speed OK. Reboot, turn on Windows Firewall, reset firewall to default configuration, checked, speed OK at ISP advertised 1.5 Mbps.

Not sure what the exact problem was, perhaps some remnant of the McAfee experience in the firewall config, who knows? Main thing is the problem is fixed.

The AAO can be a bit of a turd rendering some webpages, but at the networking level it is capable of handling the full raw throughput of cable ISP speeds. And mine at least will stream HD video off the 'net to a 1680X1050 monitor and still handle some light work on the main screen. Can't ask for much more than that from a < $400 netbook.

Dave in Eugene, Jan 25, 2009
  9. 45cdorm

45cdorm

Hi guys!

Success!....in installed the lates wifi drivers from the link you provided....50% faster now....cheers!....also streaming files on my network is much faster.

Thanks a lot.

45cdorm, Jan 26, 2009
Ask a Question