Slow internet web browsing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rootytooty, Jan 28, 2009.

1. rootytooty

rootytooty

I have a Acer Apire One and I really like it very much. Its an 8GB harddrive and I have a 16 GB memory card in it. I have added nothing to it except Office 2007 which was on there anyway as a trial, I just had the paid for version that I added and removed the other prior to installation as it is not a very big harddrive. I have just under 3GB free space on my Harddrive. It all works great as I use my card for all my data.
    I can get my email just fine no problem at all. For many sites on the web I can get to them fairly quickly, I am on cable and using a router for my home network. When I go to my banking site it gets to the site ok, and even to my account at the top level, but when I ask it to go to the detail of m account it sits there forever, almost that long and it never does bring up my account detail.

Is this machine too small to be able to drill down a bit in web sites, I don't do power computer or gaming on it just regular stuff email, web browsing and use Word and Excel for the most part.

I even installed Opera which is a great web browser and doesn't have a very big footprint so I thought maybe IE is just too big for the size of my machine. Using Opera I did get in to my account detail and then wanted to transfer some funds and that is where it wouldn't go any further.

I also have a couple Eee PCs and they work fine using Foxfire on all my web activities. Do I by chance need to put more RAM in it. I have 1GB and not sure how big I can go with it. Would that make the difference????

I like it but really would like to have more web browsing capability any suggestions please???

Thanks,
    Bobby

rootytooty, Jan 28, 2009
  2. rootytooty

rootytooty

After I wrote my long post I was thinking I wonder if it is any different on using mains power. And yes it is. I worked just find on mains power real fast and did all I needed to do with my banking.

Is this something we have to know about or is the battery power, when full, not enough to power it using some on-line functions????

Thanks,
    Bobby

rootytooty, Jan 28, 2009
  3. rootytooty

jeremysdad

There is a power-saving (read: stupid) setting for your wireless card that you have to change.

Left click your wireless icon (in the taskbar). In that window, choose "Properties." Beside the adapter window at the top of the resulting window, there is a "Configure" button. Click that button, choose teh "Advanced" tab, and change the "Power Save" mode to "Off".

You can also disable the 'QoS" feature in the "Properties" window, that seems to make a difference, as well. Good luck, and happy (faster) surfing! ;)

jeremysdad, Jan 28, 2009
  4. rootytooty

rootytooty

Wowwwwwwwwwwwww you are right. I put it back on battery power and it is still really fast. Cool. I was getting a lot of time on the battery before but I should do well this way also.
    Thanks,
    Bob

rootytooty, Jan 28, 2009
  5. rootytooty

jeremysdad

The way I see it, is if it takes three minutes to load a page versus four seconds, then it really isn't saving any battery life. Seems to me that fast internet saves battery life, not the other way around. Anyway, glad it helped you out. ;)

jeremysdad, Jan 28, 2009
  6. rootytooty

rootytooty

Thanks again. I agree with you, if you have to keep waiting or it doesn't come up at all what help is that???
    Thanks,
    Bobby

rootytooty, Jan 28, 2009
  7. rootytooty

jhillier14

My wife and I both own AAO's. I had this exact problem with both notebooks. I checked this post and turned off the battery save mode, and unchecked the QOS...walla!!!! Both notebooks went from sluggish, and dead to screaming fast for notebooks. You guys and gals are awesome. I'm so glad to have discovered this forum! Thanks!!!!!!!

jhillier14, Jan 31, 2009
  8. rootytooty

rootytooty

Exactly the same for me.

Thanks,
    Bobby

rootytooty, Jan 31, 2009
  9. rootytooty

nitebell

All of the above updates and configurations, they did nothing for my Acer One. I download a 3,373 Mbps and upload at the same rate. My wired desktops double that download speed. :roll:

nitebell, Feb 28, 2009
  10. rootytooty

Revyloution

bitchen! Great forum, solutions are easy to come by, clear and concise.

Thanks

Revyloution, Mar 5, 2009
  11. rootytooty

Tamrac

3,372 Mbps? the built in wifi is only 54mbps.... how d heck did you get it to go 3,372mpbs? ;)

Here's the deal... wired connection is 100mbps, wifi is 54mbps(max) on the Acer aspire one. There you go. :)

Tamrac, Mar 5, 2009
  12. rootytooty

ConAAO

ok, I have to break my newbie silence for this one.............clap it up, kudos for this info. I've only had my A0A150 for four days and was wondering why wifi while plugged in was nice, but sluggish when on battery power alone. being a longtime user of specific product forums, I knew the search function wouldn't let me down. I was just about to anti-up for the wireless n 5100, I may still do it though. I've already maxed out the RAM at 1.5GB and searching for more mods. However, most I've seen here are a bit to wild and unnecessary for my needs. Between the office and home I'm up to 3 laptops, 3 desktops and a G1. It's time to consolidate now that the AOA's wifi is up to par with battery power.

THANKS

ConAAO, Mar 6, 2009
  13. rootytooty

chrisanderson52761

I just picked up an Aspire One yesterday and the web browsing has been VERY sluggish, as everyone else has described. I made the changes to the power save mode and QoS. Then for about 5 minutes it was screaming fast and now back to VERY sluggish. Any ideas out there? I'm using a NetGear wireless router and all my other laptops and desktops are still running like champs. I hate to say it, but as much as I love the size, if this doesn't get fixed its going back... (the first one I got had to go back when it booted up with a flickering screen)...

Thanks for the help...

Newbie Chris

chrisanderson52761, Apr 13, 2009
  14. rootytooty

Tamrac

Hello Chris, please state what model AAO and OS you are running. I'm assuming XP Home SP3, but I'll wait for your reply. There are still some tweaks you can do to XP to improve internet speed. :)

Try this: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Netw ... izer.shtml

Tamrac, Apr 13, 2009
  15. rootytooty

chrisanderson52761

Yep, running XP with SP3 on a AOA 150-1777. Thanks again!

chrisanderson52761, Apr 13, 2009
  16. rootytooty

gm991

Hi new here , just picked up my 8.9 acer and love it so far.
    Trying some tweeks to speed this little bad boy up.
    First off should I run the IE that came with it or get firefox?

Do these adjustments only work if you have a HD model
    or do some of you have the 16 ssd model like me running XP?

Also did you notice any real loss of battery life after these settings?

thanks

gm991, Apr 16, 2009
  17. rootytooty

manou

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing that. I changed the settings and web browsing is a breeze now.

manou, Apr 21, 2009
  18. rootytooty

gm991

Didn't help me enough to keep it.
    I sent it back and have a 160gb HD version on its way.

thanks for the info though.

gm991, Apr 21, 2009
  19. rootytooty

flast

I registered just so I could thank you for this fantistic tip, my AA1 is now the perfect machine.

I cannot beleive the difference this change has made.

Thank you

flast, Apr 23, 2009
  20. rootytooty

rootytooty

I started the Original post on this subject. I did what was said and it worked much better. I also have a Asus Eee PC Linux but being more familiar with Windows I picked up my Acer One. My Eee is 16GB and my Acer is 8gb and of course Windows hogs up much of that. I have a 16 gb card in both and an 16gb thumb drive.

I seem to a pretty good lag in receiving email and web sites with the Acer One. The Eee brings email in instantly. As soon as its connected to my router it immediately brings in the email and I mean instantly.

I use them both for different reasons. If I have to type a lengthy letter or document I use my Acer One becuase of the great keyboard. For every day use like email and searching the web I use my Eee as it so so much and I mean so much faster.

I have done all the settings as mentioned in my original post and that made a difference but whether is on mains power or battery its the same. Better than originally prior to my original post but again, not close to the Eee PC.

Any comments for suggestions please???

Thanks,
    Bobby

rootytooty, May 1, 2009
Ask a Question