Slow internet, even on direct connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by garlicsmack, Oct 28, 2008.

1. garlicsmack

garlicsmack

Hi there

I'm running a unit on Windows XP, and use both wifi internet and plugging-it-in internet (whatever that's actually called) on it at different times. The connection worked normally for the first couple of weeks I had the computer, but is now cripplingly slow on connections that work fine on other computers.

I've tried turning off automatic updates for Windows and other software that connects to the internet, but it is still unuseably slow. (It can't load even, say, the BBC News site at present, it's now that bad). Anyone have any offers on why it's being such a moody so-and-so?

Regards and thanks!

garlicsmack, Oct 28, 2008
  2. garlicsmack

teknotrav

Try updating the drivers or re-installing them for the WAN (Wireless) and LAN (Wired)

teknotrav, Oct 29, 2008
  3. garlicsmack

pud63

This is an answer and a question! I also have a problem with a slow internet connection but only after resuming from hibernate or standby. If I reboot or start up from a shutdown, connection is normal (for me about 3500kbps download). If I resume, then download is around 100kbps. So in answer to your problem, if you are using hibernate or standby, try a shutdown to see if your connection speed is any different. It's a pain to have to shutdown every time so still looking for a fix. This is entirely repeatable for me. I'm on Win XP SP3. And as for the question, if anyone has a fix for this problem, fire away!

pud63, Oct 31, 2008
  4. garlicsmack

garlicsmack

Cheers for the advice - I took a shot at it and tried putting in new drivers but it hasn't worked, malheureusement. The slowness started at the same time for LAN (get me and my accurate use of terminology) and wireless, so I think it's something else.

And it's slow all the time, unfortunately, not just after hibernation.

'Rubbish'.

garlicsmack, Oct 31, 2008
Ask a Question