Slight backlight flicker?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by phoenix, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phoenix

phoenix

Has anyone else noticed the slight backlight flicker on the AspireOne winxp model?
    It only seems to happen on the lower brightness settings, when its being used (keyboard or touchpad)
    It seems the brightness of the backlight has a tiny flicker to it
    Sometimes its not even noticeable, but Im not sure if this is normal in laptop screens?
    Like I said, on max bright I dont think it happens at all

phoenix, Aug 20, 2008
  2. phoenix

bennyzhou

I've noticed the same thing. It will happen when internal HDD is reading/writing and the screen brightness turned to low. It is alright if you higher the brightness.

My conclusion is, Internal HDD is a 2.5" Seagate 5400 rpm SATA. When It is busy, It uses unsteady electric current. While LED backlight uses very little electric current, especially when the brightness is at minimal. It is easily affected by other components that use unsteady electric current. Thus you'll find backlight flicker along with the HDD noise.

The solution is higher the backlight brightness. Or you may change the internal HDD to other model for test. I think the internal HDD doesn't support AAM (Automatic Acoustic Management) because it is very noisy. A HDD that supports AAM will gently move its header to minimize noise. Also the utilized electric current will be much smoother.

Here is a demo to show how AAM works.
    http://www.wdc.com/en/flash/index.asp?f ... ntelliseek

bennyzhou, Aug 20, 2008
  3. phoenix

janss

janss, Aug 20, 2008
Ask a Question