Skype's "send file" feature not reading files

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Pontificator, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Pontificator

Pontificator

Skype's "send file" feature is not reading files stores in My Documents, Music, etc.

It's as if there are no files in there at all.

(exception): My pictures: I have about a dozen .jpg images in there but skype shows I only have one.

Pontificator, Jan 30, 2009
  2. Pontificator

markh

Do you have a merged SD card, by any chance? It's the mention of only 1 picture out of 12 that makes me wonder. if so, are you looking in the merged directory (/mnt/home/, I think), or only the SSD directory?

markh, Jan 30, 2009
  3. Pontificator

Pontificator

Yes, I do have a merged SD card.

All I know is that I'm looking at "users" and it lists all my folders (music/video/documents/downloads)

4. Pontificator

Pontificator

I also pressed the "expand this disc's space" icon (the little blue wrench) in the "my disc" folder by accident a few days ago prior to installing Skype.

The only files Skype can see...and hence send...are in the "Pictures" tab:

1. The "Photoframe" folder and...

2. a single .jpg file that I have have put in there prior to installing an SD card in the storage expansion slot.

right now I am unable to find out exactly what skype is reading from because I have no current skype contact who are online.

Guess I'll have to wait. At least you've put me in some direction. I appreciate your replying to this thread.

5. Pontificator

Pontificator

OK, now...we're getting closer.

I went into "My Disc" and have discovered that the single .jpg image that Skype can read and send is indeed located not on the removable drive but in the SSD itself.

all the other photos that Skype cannot read are on the removeable drive (SDHC card).

6. Pontificator

markh

ok, I just had a try at this (I have a merged SD card). Skype defaulted to looking on the SSD only. The "merged" SSD and SD create a folder called /mnt/home/. Get to it by using the drop down and selecting the "/" option (or using the up arrow), and then navigate through mnt and home. That ought to do it. (This worked on Skype version 2.0.0.72)

markh, Jan 31, 2009
  7. Pontificator

Pontificator

We both have the same version of Skype.

Last night I realized that you can use the drop-down menu at the top of the screen in "My Disc" to see what files are loaded on the SSD and what files are loaded on the merged SD card.*

I'm getting closer, but still a bit confused.

When you say "navigate" are you referring to the search directory windows that Skype creates when you wish to locate a file? Or are you talking about navigating the 'partitions' in "My Disc" FIRST before using Skype's directory windows to look for a file to send? The reason I ask this is because when i was looking in Skype to send the file the directory it creates has two 'folders": "Home"...and "User" I didn't see the requested files in either.

And I take it that you have to be actively online with another Skype account to do this. Right now, all my contacts are offline.

*THREAD HIJACK FOLLOWS...(and I'll also pose this question in another thread)

When you download a file onto a Linux AA1 with a merged SD card are those files automatically sent to the SD card by default? Does Linpus use the SD card's space first before using the space on the SSD? It doesn't look like you can actually choose which part of storage (SSD or merged SD) the file goes to when you download it, only which tab in "My Documents". (of course, I have a pretty good idea that you can then move them around after they're downloaded).

Pontificator, Jan 31, 2009
  8. Pontificator

Pontificator

Aha!!!!! Sucess!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

9. Pontificator

Pontificator

OK, now that I've figured out how to do this...

(if you're using a Linux flavored AA1 with a merged SD card to expand storage and want to send a file that located on the SD card...)

1. Launch Skype and start a chat/computer call with one of your contacts.

2. Click "send a file" at the top of your open chat/call window. Skype will open a search window for you to select a file.

3. Using the drop-down arrow on the right-hand side of the menu bar...at the top of the window...locate the folder/partition that is labeled "/"

open that folder and look for a folder called "mnt". Open it.

4. Look for a folder called "home" and open it. This will take you to "mnt/home". You will now see all the folders where your files on the SD expansion card are located (Documents, pictures, video, music, downloads)

5. you may now search those folders for the files stored on the SD card.

10. Pontificator

markh

Heh, glad you got it sorted. Sorry I wasn't sufficiently clear to start with. Try this macles article for background on the merged directory.

markh, Feb 1, 2009
Ask a Question