Skype video problem

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by seascribe, Oct 9, 2008.

1. seascribe

seascribe

Just purchased an Aspire One and have downloaded and installed Skype for Fedora 7. Skype calling works, except for the video (even though I have set the video options within the Skype program). Am I missing some small detail? Thanks for any suggestions.

Seascribe

seascribe, Oct 9, 2008
  2. seascribe

jamesb72

Have you checked your camera is working using the built in webcam app ? Perhaps its faulty ?

I installed skype from acer ftp site (ftp://ftp.acer-euro.com/netbook/aspire_one_linux/apps/), and it works fine with camera - but I understand this is identical to standard skype install, so shouldn't make any difference.

jamesb72, Oct 9, 2008
  3. seascribe

seascribe

Yes, camera is working, just not with Skype...seems as though Skype cand not find it.

Seascribe

seascribe, Oct 9, 2008
  4. seascribe

jamesb72

When I installed Skype video camera was picked up automatically.

Skype Menu -> Options -> Video Devices

only shows one option - "Acer CrystalEye Webcam (/dev/video1)"

If webcam works in the Acer app, might be worth re-installing Skype from the Acer ftp (see macles blog for details - thats where I followed this from).

jamesb72, Oct 10, 2008
  5. seascribe

seascribe

Well...the problem seems to have resolved itself. Logged into Skype this morning and the camera worked flawlessly without any further intervention (don't you just hate when that happens?).

Thanks for support,
    Seascribe

seascribe, Oct 10, 2008
  6. seascribe

m4r35n357

I have found that skype invariably gets confused after resuming from standby. Well it's not actually skype, /dev/video0 becomes /dev/video1, and skype fails on that even though it is pointing to it.
    I have found two solutions, one easy, the other more "advanced" but quicker. There are almost certainly better solutions though.
    1. reboot - everything will point back at /dev/video0
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /dev/video1 /dev/video0.
    You can now do the skype test, selecting if necessary . . .
    HTH

m4r35n357, Oct 17, 2008
  7. seascribe

isambard

That works! I still have do that every time, though, after standby. Is there a permanent fix? It seems crazy to have to enter something in Terminal every time. :?

isambard, Oct 27, 2008
Ask a Question