Skype Video Conference with Linpus OS

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by joliv999, Aug 20, 2008.

1. joliv999

joliv999

Hi,

planning to buy one of these great machines for my mum, mainly for internet surfing and video conferencing. What is holding me back on the purchase is not knowing if Skype can be installed and is working on it. I like the simple UI from linpus, good for IT challenged people like my mum.

Looking forward for some feedback.

Cheers,
    Joao

joliv999, Aug 20, 2008
  2. joliv999

Sid

Skype can be installed, works fine.

search the forum for "Skype"

Sid, Aug 20, 2008
  3. joliv999

dealersing

I managed to installed skype but I'm not able to run it. I posted it out on the other thread and I'm still waiting for the solution. BTW, I thought about buying A1 for my parents. Considering about their age, it would be too hard for them to look at a small screen. My suggestion to you is to take them to the store and let them try out first; see if they like it.

dealersing, Aug 21, 2008
  4. joliv999

Raido

I bought the AA1 specifically for my parents (mainly). They're in their seventies and totally non-techie w/regard to IT, so it had to be VERY simple and comfortable to use.

In this respect the stock Linpus user interface works; it's hard enough for my dad to remember where 'the browser' icon is, remember what the 'Enter' key does, and not have too small icons on a desktop.
    In all, they did manage to get used to it after a few weeks - with some hickups, and they need to practice more still, but it did get the job done and specially for my dad, that's already quite something. Now and then they've already been browsing or emailing on their own.

The screen is indeed a bit small and sometimes they lift the netbook up until it's under their nose, but by choosing a bigger default font in most applications they still find it readable. Also, they do like the screen and see the benefits of my reasoning of picking the One with its bigger screen over the smaller Eee, even though that was cheaper.

Installed Skype on this one too, it works (and I think Acer meant to include it by default but removed it in the last minute before release).

Raido, Aug 21, 2008
  5. joliv999

ddalley

What is this opinion based upon?
    =======

I was also successful getting Skype to work, but I was disappointed to see how immature the Linux version is compared to the Windows version.

ddalley, Aug 21, 2008
Ask a Question