skype video calls - running too slowly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by westerncharger, Jan 16, 2011.

1. westerncharger

westerncharger

My first post to the forum, I have searched for a link but have not seen anything about this.
    I have the Aspire 532h-2807 - Intel Atom 1.66GHz, 1 GB Memory with Windows 7 starter. Computer works great, no freezes ever.
    I have the latest version of skype. I can make audio calls but when I try to make a video call it says the computer is running too slowly. I am plugged into the AC. A sales guy at one of the big box stores said that you need a dual core processor to do video calls but I have seen some posts here noting other users were successful with Video calls. Any success stories out there? Suggestions? Thanks.

westerncharger, Jan 16, 2011
  2. westerncharger

jpwilk

I have a Aspire One D250 running WinXp with 1.6 GHz N270 cpu and 2GB RAM and get the same message but only if I'm running on battery. Using the adapter I don't get the warning but video with the built in camera sucks using Skype. I tried it with a very good Logitech external camera with the same results. I get better video if I use Windows Messenger (Live?) but still very bad.
    The same Logitech camera and using the same broadband source on an old HP/Compaq laptop with 1.8Ghz processor and 512MB RAM has fantastic video.
    I see in the help files that Acer video conferencing software VCM is supposed to improve video when using Skype etc but the other person has to have it installed also. None of my contacts have it installed so can't say if it works. Trying to find out where to download it from but I'm getting the runaround with Acer support by people with foreign sounding names that won't give me an answer saying that my warranty period is over so have to pay for a response! I'll post the question on this forum instead.

jpwilk, May 4, 2012
  3. westerncharger

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

I run Skype on my D250 for video calls with no problems either on battery or plugged in.

Check your power settings in Control Panel to ensure that you have it set to maximum performance when plugged in as other wise you'll be running slower than possible and be off on the wrong foot. But im surprised that you get the message and I dont.
    You can see my specs from my sig, so im not sure if the Broadcom card helps?!?!

Cheers

Paul

elPaulio, May 10, 2012
  4. westerncharger

IPexpress

Check your power settings as previously stated by elPaulio and maybe check your memory resources too.

IPexpress, Jul 7, 2012
Ask a Question