Skype Video calls make CPU max out

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by GuHaid, May 10, 2010.

1. GuHaid

GuHaid

Guys,

I am the happy owner (yes, very happy indeed, no freezes thankfully) of two 751s. The only "problem" I have is that the processor seems to really struggle with Skype call. Even if the video is not on, the CPU sits generally between 50% and 80%. As soon as I turn the camera on, the CPU really struggles and hits 100% very often. The video is extremely choppy and the audio drops out as soon the the 100% is reached. BAsically its not usable for Skype Videos.

As I said, I have two of those and the problem is the same on both. Mind you, they are set up identically, so any problem with drivers or so I may have replicated. Here is my setup: XP Home, 1GB Ram, BIOS xx12 version, latest Audio and GMA drivers.

By the way, when I use Acer's Video Conferencing software that comes with the 751, the Video is MUCH better (although the audio volume is quite low). Unfortunately the Acer VC software only works when both parties are using it, and that is not often the case.

Any hints. Anybody with the same problems?

GuHaid, May 10, 2010
  2. GuHaid

Pytheas

Well, Skype is well-known for being resource-hungry, even when used in laptops. In fact, it is so demanding, that it is widely used for stressing our netbooks in order to see if they will freeze!

I quote from the Skype's page:
    That should be covered by our netbooks specifications (1,3GHz CPU and 1-2GB RAM)

Please note that if you try to make a High Definition Video Call, the specs are higher:

I have read that the drivers developed for Windows 7 are more advanced compared to those for Windows XP, so if the cause of the problem is the video performance you should try Skype on a 751h with Windows 7 installed. I believe though that the problem is the CPU itself, that even it is rated @ 1,3GHz it cannot cope up with the high-demanding applications.

Pytheas, May 10, 2010
  3. GuHaid

GuHaid

Yes, I figured out that Skypeis quite a power hungry app. Nevertheless, as you quoted, the 751 quite easily meets the minimum requirements for Skype. And the built in web cam can hardly be called HD, can it?

In the Crystal Eye Web Cam Application I can set the resolution to either 640 * 480 or to 320 * 240 but Skype seems to only take the higher res version.

I read in the random freeze thread that people particularly have freezes in Skype video calls - that makes me wonder that at least some people seem to be able to make Skype video calls that are not completely horrible and without the CPU maxing most of the time.

How are others going with Skype and Video (and what OS / RAM combination are you using)?

I find it hard to believe that Acer would release a netbook with a built in cam - but otherwise the specs are too low for a Skype video call - I mean, what else will this web cam be used for than that kind of thing?

GuHaid, May 10, 2010
  4. GuHaid

jdh1947

I am running Win7 Home Premium 32-bit with 2 gb RAM and CPU overclocked to 1.45 GHz on my AO751H. As long as I am on a wired internet connection, the video performance is acceptable, but picture resolution is not great. When I try to run on a WiFi 802.11g connection, performance suffers...

jdh1947, May 12, 2010
  5. GuHaid

GuHaid

My Skype issue has been solved. I sent my 751 back to Acer because of the infamous "freeze for no reason" problem. During the repair Acer changed the motherboard and downgraded(!) my audio driver.

I had "upgraded" mine to the latest one available on the Acer Web page (6.0.1.5854) and it was downgraded to what it had shipped with (5.10.0.6024). I am DEFINITELY happier with that driver, sound quality is way way better. The other one had this kind of echo in it that was really annoying. That driver change may(!) also have to do with the fact that my Skype now not only seems to run stable but also with was less CPU usage. Before I could not make a video call, the CPU would max out too much. Now I am happily video'ing around without a problem and a CPU around 50%-60%. Not sure if it is that driver change or the new motherboard, but something changed to the better, no doubt.

Hope this helps if anyone has Skype problems.

GuHaid, Jul 3, 2010
Ask a Question