skype on acer aspire one

Discussion in 'Networking' started by David Huynh, Sep 27, 2008.

1. David Huynh

David Huynh

I would like to know if skype can run on Acer Aspire One without any problem with performance when making a call. It has made the Acer Aspire One become too slow when making a call, I took a look at the CPU Usage, it was 100%. My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium.

David Huynh, Sep 27, 2008
  2. David Huynh

Fuerst

Hi, are you using aspire One with 512 MB RAM. I wouldn't be surprised if you would have problems running Vista.

I have the 8 GB flashmemory/512 MB RAM version and Linux, and Skype is running perfectly

Fuerst, Sep 27, 2008
  3. David Huynh

David Huynh

no! I'm getting problem with Skype when making a call, it made my computer become too slow. I'm using 1Gb DDRAM2, and windows vista Home premium.

Has anyone got this problem before ?

Regards,

David Huynh, Sep 28, 2008
  4. David Huynh

Kitism

Windows Vista is very memory-intensive and requires a lot more processing to run normally compared to linux. Saying that, with 1GB of RAM (the minimum for Windows Vista), your AA1 is probably crawling along, trying to run the most menial of tasks, I guess.

What you can do is streamline Vista, essentially taking out services and components that are unnecessary. This should help lessen the load on your laptop, but really, the AA1 was not meant to run Vista, especially regarding hardware.

Kitism, Sep 28, 2008
  5. David Huynh

David Huynh

I have taken out services and component. The laptop is working very smoothly, nothing indicates it is slow when running Vista except making a Skype call. I took a look at CPU Usage in Task Manager, it is 100% when a Skype user pickup my call and start to talk. When cancelling the call, everything get back to nomral to work smoothly.

Try to install Skype and make a call, you will see what I mentioned.

David Huynh, Sep 29, 2008
  6. David Huynh

palingenesis

i have had skype freeze my system a couple of times but it doesn't seem to be a problem for others

palingenesis, Sep 29, 2008
  7. David Huynh

David Huynh

What did you do to solve this problem ? It freeze my system every single time a call is picked up

David Huynh, Sep 29, 2008
  8. David Huynh

miketurley

I am running Skype on my AA1 withe the standard Linpus Linux and standard memory - it works very well - I do calls within the UK which are perfect - the calls to Australia have a bit of latency but nothing to spoil the experience. This is all over my home wireless network with a fairly slow broaband link. The convenience of the size of the AA1 using the installed camera, mic and internal speakers is fantastic. This one of the main reasons I purchased the AA1 and I'm not disappointed.

miketurley, Oct 1, 2008
  9. David Huynh

andtal

which version of skype for linux did you choose? ive seen a couple of posts that suggest the fedora 7 variant causes some problems....

andtal, Oct 3, 2008
  10. David Huynh

miketurley

I used the fedora dowload from the Skype site

miketurley, Oct 3, 2008
  11. David Huynh

David Huynh

Please focus on my problem !!!! Don't go around anywhere.

David Huynh, Oct 5, 2008
  12. David Huynh

nchntr

Skype worked just fine for me with my A150 (120G/1G/XP Home), I called land lines and also PC to PC video Calls all fine with maybe 25% max CPU usage. I have just installed Vista Home Premium (vLite with only Languages and Some Hardware Drivers removed, 1.7g install USB image) I will try skype tonite with Vista and post my results.

No problems with Vista either, Internal Mic ok, Plugged In mic fine.

nchntr, Oct 6, 2008
  13. David Huynh

nchntr

Do you have an AA1 with the Harddrive or SSD?

nchntr, Oct 9, 2008
  14. David Huynh

David Huynh

my AA1 is A150 (120Gb/1Gb/XP Home). I don't know why it is working fine on yours but mine. :(

Is there something wrong with sound driver ? How much CPU Usage does it take when a call is picked up and start to talk ? Which version of Skype has been installed ?

David Huynh, Oct 11, 2008
  15. David Huynh

nchntr

My Skype Version is 3.8.0.180. I used all the XP drivers where they would work, I didnt load the realtek drivers, Vista either had or found the drivers for that. I remember having to load the drivers and maybe also the setup.exe for the Webcam (are you using skype for video as well?)

When I run skype I wait about 30 sec for the CPU to stabilize (10% total , SKYPE IS 2%), when i run the Skype test call, all works well.. cpu moves from 16% to 31% total, Skype is only part of this. This is using the built in mic and speaker.

I also tried it with my bluetooth headset (Samsung WEP200 paired with an ioGear BTU421, Micro USB BT (BestBuy Phone section $30) the CPU never broke 25%

I called my cell and played music through it, the CPU went up to 50% with Skype peaking 40% once.

If there is anything else i can look for let me know, for now i'll knock on wood that mines working.

nchntr, Oct 11, 2008
  16. David Huynh

David Huynh

Could you send me the sound driver you are using on Vista ? I will try to install this driver to see if it works on Skype.

Thanks!

David Huynh, Oct 26, 2008
  17. David Huynh

Puru

Hi guys, I got a problem while using skype video....sometimes it works fine but most of the times i just get a black screen on my video window!!! i mean I can see the other person but he can't see me it's just a black screen!!! and when i go to the video settings window again the same thing...sometimes i see myself and mostly i don't and its just a black screen...i have tried to reinstall the drivers but no improvement!!! the Acer crystal eye application works fine though with my webcam...anyone else facing this issue???? any solutions??? pls help

Puru, Oct 26, 2008
  18. David Huynh

trinder

Hello

please tell a complete novice how to get Skype onto my machine. I'm going to India for a month and would like to use it to keep in touch.

Cheers

trinder, Oct 30, 2008
  19. David Huynh

ClassicS40

ClassicS40, Nov 11, 2008
Ask a Question