Simple toddler tablet/laptop?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by GearZ, Apr 14, 2016.

1. GearZ

GearZ

Howdy all. My daughter is not quite three years old, but already has a thing for technology and learning. She recently brought home from day care (temporarily loaned) a tablet designed for her age group that had simple animation and educational apps (e.g., alphabet, shapes, etc.). She liked it immensely, so we're thinking of buying her that one or maybe something else.

Can anyone recommend a good, age-appropriate, device? Thanks all.

GearZ, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. GearZ

djtech

Well, my nephew uses a regular samsung phone with a cover like this one: link. He gets to use it every evening for watching funny videos, videos about himself, for playing a ton of alphabet related games, etc. So, you could buy a cover like that for less than 20 bucks and just load that phone up with apps and videos.

But, if your heart is set on getting a toddler tablet, get this one manufactured and marketed by amazon, its the fire kids edition: link. Over 5600 people have left positive reviews on this product and 5600 parents can't be wrong :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    djtech, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. GearZ

IBMPC8088

The Dragon Touch Y88X and Vivitar XO tablets are also good devices for kids and can withstand some drops and throws a little better than the Leapfrog and units which is built well enough, but I think they might need users to buy every individual program where the XO might be a little more free on that for what you can install. Whichever one you decide on, you'll want to make sure it has a good warranty just in case. ;)

IBMPC8088, Apr 14, 2016
    djtech likes this.
  4. GearZ

Corzhens

Our laundrywoman comes twice a week for our clothes. She brings along her granddaughter who just turned 2 years old. One thing I noticed is the toddler's savvy for the tablet. She could play nursery rhymes and sing along too. She also knows how to play the game of blocks. Honestly, I was kind of surprised upon seeing for the first time a toddler with ease in using the tablet. Considering that she couldn't talk coherently yet, it is amazing she could do that while I used to have difficulty with my first tablet.

Corzhens, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. GearZ

Sefie

Any cheap one will do, because well... kids. You can install all the educational apps and games you want to without spending big bucks on something your kid might surely damage (because... well kids!). Better be safe than sorry. Wait to get something better for her once she is much older.

Sefie, Apr 16, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. GearZ

IcyBC

I have seen many children your daughter age in the restaurant, in the soccer arena, and on the soccer field using the mini iPad. They seemed to loose themselves in those devices for a long time. Maybe the mini iPad is cheaper now. My niece has one when she was 3, and now she is nine and still has the iPad with her.

IcyBC, Apr 16, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  7. GearZ

fcuco

Maybe is not the device that's important, but the case. Some of the most important tablet models have cases that are cool for kids, they have cool forms and are made out of extra tick rubber so it protects both the device and the kid from the sharp edges, some of them even have handles so they are easy to manipulate, I am talking about something lie this:

[​IMG]
    Once the kid grows up you simply remove the case and you have a normal adult tablet.

fcuco, Apr 16, 2016
  8. GearZ

nytegeek

My two year old and my four year old have their own HD Fire Kid's edition tablets and they seem to do well with them. They use the ABCmouse.com app mostly.

nytegeek, Apr 17, 2016
    djtech likes this.
  9. GearZ

djtech

Yeah. Fire kids is great. Funny how I grew up thinking a system with an 800 MHz processor was the ultimate thing. Now every phone has a processor better than that :)

djtech, Apr 17, 2016
Ask a Question