simple question to get me started (not booting from DVD)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by sunster, May 17, 2009.

1. sunster

sunster

Hi folks,

I downloaded ideneb v.1.4 to my running mac computer and burned a dvd of it as an iso file (in disk utility) so I could install mac os onto my acer aspire one a150.

I have an external dvd drive, so booted the acer, pressed f12 and selected the drive to boot from. And... nothing, all I'm now getting is a flashing cursor on a black empty screen. I've left it running for half an hour so I take it that I've done something wrong!

Problem is I don't know enough about what makes the dvd a running startup disk - ie. don't know the ins and outs of what/how an iso works.

If I open the disk on my ubuntu remix-running acer I can see the contents of the DVD. Incidentally it appears on the desktop as 'Layne OSx86 DVD'. Now, if I double click on the DVD icon in the file browser I get a folder called Install Mac OS X.app and mach_kernel. (I'm adding this as confirmation that I've burned the right thing)

So, anyone help me please,

thanks,

Sunster

sunster, May 17, 2009
  2. sunster

sunster

any help anyone???

sunster, May 18, 2009
  3. sunster

yohko101

try burning a copy of ideneb in ur ubuntu box? gnomebaker can write iso images

if it's reading it correctly, you should see the chameleon 1.xx loader on boot up.

yohko101, May 19, 2009
  4. sunster

ericditt

right after you pick the dvd drive and the screen turn black from theF12 screen press spacebar one and wait. I was having the same issues and just had to keep trying. Only press it one and then a boot from cd message will come up.

ericditt, May 19, 2009
  5. sunster

sunster

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

After trying several times with new iso's I decided to change my brand of dvd and.. it worked.
    Took me five days to think of that!
    Cheers,
    Sunster

sunster, May 23, 2009
  6. sunster

MasterJediAdam

So what brand did and what brand didn't work?

I got a successful burn on a TDK DVD-R 1-16x 4.7Gb DVD.

MasterJediAdam, May 25, 2009
  7. sunster

sunster

Hi MasterJediAdam,

The DVD's that didn't seem to work for me were maxell DVD+ - they have a shiny surface. I got the successful installation with unbranded white dvd's. Funnily enough the same thing happened when I tried to install other software. My PC would recognise the disc, but when I used my Mac it couldn't see the maxell DVD. I ended up having to create an ISO on the PC onto another DVD (white unbranded) for the Mac and it worked.

Don't think this is a Mac/PC issue, more likely that some DVD drives are more forgiving than others!

sunster, Jun 2, 2009
  8. sunster

dismal

I've had issues with different dvd drives in my external drive case, I went through 3 different brands of drives and none of them are ever 100% perfect...took me 3 boots to finally get ideneb to boot up to install. hmm, silly machines

dismal, Jun 3, 2009
  9. sunster

brushless

Some people say forcing the burn speed to lower than the max speed would give you a better chance of success. I have been lucky with most of my burns and don't to have to resort to a lower burn speed. :cool:

brushless, Jun 6, 2009
Ask a Question