Sierra Wireless Linux driver.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by alynch, Aug 13, 2008.

1. alynch

alynch

I set up a quickie build environment, and banged out a driver for the Sierra Wireless 881U UMTS/HSDPA/3G modem (and others)... Mine is on AT&T in the US, but the driver doesn't really care. PPP connect scripts will, however... Your mileage my vary.

It works with a whole pile of devices... Its compiled for kernel 2.6.23.9lw, which is the latest available. More info is at the FAQ page, linked below.

To get it to work: As root, copy the sierra.ko file to /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/other/ directory, then run "depmod -a". Reboot, just for good measure, and it'll take.

As for the actual connect stuff, you're on your own. I followed this FAQ page at Sierra Wireless's site, and it works great:

http://www.sierrawireless.com/faq/ShowFAQ.aspx?ID=1076

The driver is attached.

-Adam

alynch, Aug 13, 2008
  2. alynch

jmemory

I will try this today. If it works, I owe you a drink, since i have been dealing with trying to get my 881 going for a month now.

jmemory, Sep 24, 2008
  3. alynch

Japser

did it work ?

Japser, Sep 26, 2008
  4. alynch

DawMatt

Hi,

This download no longer works. Does anyone know where I can find another pre-compiled version of this Sierra driver? I'd make it myself but right now I only have 3G Aircard 880U for connectivity... so its a bit of a catch 22.

Also the linked article on the Sierra web site seems to have moved here.

Thanks,
    Matt

DawMatt, Sep 29, 2009
  5. alynch

Japser

Japser, Sep 29, 2009
  6. alynch

DawMatt

Thanks Jasper!

That has gotten me further. Mobile Partner now seems to realise there is a device to connect to but is complaining about it being unavailable, so next step is to have another look at the Sierra FAQ for the remainder of the steps after that depmod -a. But at least the driver seems to have "taken".

Thanks for your help,
    Matt

DawMatt, Sep 29, 2009
  7. alynch

lamorake

Hello!

I know this is reviving an old thread here, but I decided to go back to Linpus (from Ubuntu) on my AA1 and I'm working on getting the Sierra Wireless 598 USB EVDO modem up and running. I've went to the Sierra Wireless website and downloaded the correct version, but when I try to do what the original poster suggests (extact the file in /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/other) I can't do it as their's no "other" folder. There is an "other" file that already exists, and it won't allow me to create a directory with that file there. I'm scared to delete the existing file to create the directoy, as I don't want to hose the system.

Is there another location that I can place the file and then run the depmod -a to get it working?

* I suppose it'd be nice if someone has the compiled (sierra.ko) file as well. :)

lamorake, Oct 26, 2009
  8. alynch

DawMatt

Hi,

FWIW I could never quite get this working. Linpus would see the device but I could never manage to get a connection happening. Similar issues on Ubuntu as well. This was probably due to "operator error" but I ran out of time to get this working.

My A110 is running Windows 7 now, my 3G works, and all is right with the world!

Thanks,
    Matt

DawMatt, Oct 26, 2009
  9. alynch

Japser

On the copy of the original Linpus-dvd that I have is a directory called 'extra' with another 3G-related module ( onda.ko ) in it. I think that it basically does not matter at all where a module is located in this tree.
    'depmod' will search the tree and register all modules it finds.

I will upload sierra.ko.zip once more.

--Japser.

hmmm, I get a "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

So I made it available here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rjnoe/0/linux/acer/sierra.ko.zip

Japser, Oct 26, 2009
  10. alynch

lamorake

Thanks, Jasper! I set it up in the "extra" folder and depmod worked. When I did the "modinfo sierra" pulled back quite a bit of info. Now that it at least hast the drivers, time to work on setting up for connection. :)

lamorake, Oct 27, 2009
Ask a Question