Shutdown Problem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by epi10mg, Feb 14, 2009.

1. epi10mg

epi10mg

I have tried many distros and windows 7 as well as XP. Linpus seemed to work the best and am ready to stick with Linpus. I reinstalled LInpus via USB. when I goto shut down or restart from taskbar it freezes and I have to manually push the shut down button. I have tried to reinstall several times. I have reloaded the recovery USB but the problem persists. I have searched the forums and have not seen a similar problem. Any ideas?? Thanks.

epi10mg, Feb 14, 2009
  2. epi10mg

mattytee

Hello, fellow Texan!

I can think of two things to do, which may or may not help:
    1. Go into the BIOS (F2 at boot) and set defaults. Maybe a changed setting is giving you this issue. Or maybe your ACPI DSDT table got corrupted. I would just update to the newest BIOS. I'm running 3309 with no issues so far; it's been a month or so since I put that in. The Acer BIOS is known to go hinky sometimes -- I had the black screen issue once on BIOS 3114. Re-flashing fixed it. No probs since 3309.

2. This is a long shot, as the recovery re-partitions the drive and builds a fresh filesystem (at least on the SSD models), but you might try booting with another distro on USB key, running fdisk, and blowing out the partition table utterly. Extremely unlikely to help, but hey, can't hurt.

Barring that (and hopefully flashing the BIOS'll do the trick), I'd say hardware issues. Have you cracked it open? If you've installed RAM, you might pull and reinsert it, and also try without it installed to see if that's the problem. Bad RAM is not super common, but not uncommon either. Make sure you're recovering without any SD cards in, by the way. That could be an issue. Unplug any other USB devices, all like that. Oh, yeah, try a different USB stick or rewrite the one you have. It could be corrupted.

Hopefully one of those things will help. Good luck.

mattytee, Feb 16, 2009
  3. epi10mg

epi10mg

Thanks for the reply. My BIOS is 3305. I have noted that my left SD card slot caused the majority of my problems. Card in-problems. Card out-purrs like a kitten.

epi10mg, Feb 17, 2009
  4. epi10mg

johjeff

I have the shutdown problem with Linpus as well, and I have the latest BIOS. I think it is related to the SD card or the Bluetooth that I have added. The way I get around it is just to Reboot instead of Shutdown, and then hit the power button at the Acer BIOS screen. If anyone knows of another fix, please let me know.

johjeff, Mar 23, 2009
Ask a Question