Shutdown Menu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Pattmyn, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Pattmyn

Pattmyn

Hey folks. First post here, been lurking for a while though. I have a One and so far and love it but I'm having some problems with the Ubuntu shutdown menu. It shows hibernate, suspend, log out, switch user, and lock screen - but no shutdown or restart. :? It should be noted that though I'm a power user of Windoze, I'm still pretty green on Linux. I hacked up my EeePC pretty good before selling it to buy a One but that was with heavy community support and lots and lots of walkthroughs lol.

Anyone seen this at all? Am I being blind as a bad and/or a total n00b?

EDIT: It should be noted I did follow https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne for all setup and "sudo restart" works in terminal.

Pattmyn, Aug 10, 2008
  2. Pattmyn

mkokotovich

The only time I've seen this is when you start X as a user, not as root. You need root permissions to shutdown/restart, and the gui shutdown menu needs to have root permissions in order to shutdown. In order for the menu to have root permissions, it needs to be started by something that has root permissions. The only time I've seen it not have it is when I manually start X via the startx command or some other equivalent method.

How do you log into your machine? Have you done any auto-login tweaks? Have you done any tweaks at all? A straight-out-of-the-box install of ubuntu should work the way you want it to - a full shutdown menu. Can you think of anything you've done that might mess with either X, gdm, or something else starting?

Just to confirm my suspicion, run
    Code:
    ps aux | grep X
    from a terminal and confim that /usr/bin/X is running as your username, not root.

I could be wrong though, but I'm fairly certain that your problem has to do with permissions.

mkokotovich, Aug 12, 2008
  3. Pattmyn

Pattmyn

Code:
    root      5228 13.3 11.1  76768 56228 tty7     Rs+  18:55   2:38 /usr/bin/X :0 -br -audit 0 -auth /var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
    pattmyn  10003  0.0  0.1   3008   772 pts/0    S+   19:15   0:00 grep X

I'm pretty sure you're on the right vein given a friend I showed it to said the same thing (something permissions based). Not sure if this is relevant at all, but the whole OS seems to hang a lot too (doing anything, whole apps will hang and go grayed out or just the whole system will hang)...is that common? Something for another thread?

Pattmyn, Aug 13, 2008
  4. Pattmyn

gotti

I think you may have done the same thing I accidentally did when I was messing around with GDM themes. Check the 'Login Window' Administration app and make sure ''Show Actions menu' is checked on the 'Local' tab. That should fix it.

gotti, Aug 14, 2008
  5. Pattmyn

Pattmyn

Well wouldja look at that, all fixed up. Thanks a bunch gotti!

Pattmyn, Aug 15, 2008
Ask a Question