Should the fan be on all the time?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by zongamin, Oct 17, 2008.

1. zongamin

zongamin

Just picked up an 8g Linux model which is really great, but the fan appears to be on constantly. When I first switched it on there was no fan sound, this lasted around 30 seconds until the fan kicked in and its been on ever since!

I picked the SSD model over the hartd disk version as I had read it was almost totally silent but the noise from this fan is loud enough to annoy other people in the room.

Have I got a fault?

zongamin, Oct 17, 2008
  2. zongamin

goofball

not really. Mine is on all the time (HDD linux version but running XP.), it's normal but some seem to be getting quieter ones than other's.

goofball, Oct 18, 2008
  3. zongamin

rbil

I have the same model as yours and the fan runs all the time. Fortunately with mine I don't hear it unless I'm sitting in a very quiet space.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 18, 2008
  4. zongamin

donec

I also have the SSD Linux version and every time I check the fan is running but unless I pick it up and listen to the bottom I can't hear the fan. I would say you do not have a fault.

donec, Oct 18, 2008
  5. zongamin

zongamin

Cheers for the replies everyone

Having checked it again this morning and read a few similar threads it seems the problem was a simple one - I was running off mains power yesterday, so obviously it was getting warmer, causing the fan to kick in,

Tried this morning off battery power and its back to silent again,

zongamin, Oct 18, 2008
  6. zongamin

donec

Most of the time I run on main power and not battery power and I don't have hardly any heat from my AA1 and don't kn ow if the fan running all the time or not but I suspect it is but quietly.

donec, Oct 18, 2008
Ask a Question