Should I upgrade to 750GB SSD and 16GB DDR3L?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Awais, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Awais

Awais

Hey Guys!

I have a laptop which has the following main specifications.

>Model: Acer Aspire E1-572
    >Intel Core i5-4200U 1.6GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
    >Intel HD Graphics 4400 up to 1792MB Dynamic Video Memory
    >15.6" HD LED LCD
    >6GB DDR3L RAM Memory
    >750GB HDD

Which of the either listed options below should I go with?
    Option 1: Upgrade HDD to 750GB SSD and RAM to 16GB DDR3L total costing around £210.
    OR..
    Option 2: Save that money. Sell my laptop and get a new one for around £400?
    (Which may not have enough SSD and RAM if compared to the upgrade options but would have a significant increase (probably) in processor and graphics on this new laptop)

What I use the laptop for and why I am in need for a change?

I multi-task a lot. A LOT. I could have countless tabs opened up on chrome. Photoshop running in the background. Visual Studio 2015 also simultaneously running. So far no problems but having any more applications opened up such as Virtual Machine running OS X in conjunction with Visual Studio, the performance takes a big hit. So much so that a lot of blood drains out.
    Additional Note: I will be acquiring a MacBook soon for most of my editing work later but for now, I need a solid Windows computer.

Your valuable advice will be greatly taken into consideration.

Thank You.

Awais, Nov 2, 2016
  2. Awais

something back

Welcome to the laptop forums site

Looking at you laptop specs, upping the ram to 8gb could help as you are using graphic
    type programs a lot.

The graphic card is using shared ram.

Your laptop is not the highest spec laptop so It's not going to be worth spending a lot on
    it.

However making the move to a ssd drive will give you a lot of advantages in speed.

You can always remove the ssd drive over to a new machine in years to come.

something back, Nov 3, 2016
  3. Awais

Ian Administrator

Yep, I'd second the comments about the SSD - it'll provide a HUGE speed boost. I wouldn't be without one now - they are such a good investment. A 750GB one will last you plenty of time too :).

Ian, Nov 8, 2016
Ask a Question