Should I shut my laptop down when I'm not using it?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Slenderman, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Slenderman

Slenderman

I keep my laptop turned on pretty much 24/7, only restarting it when a software update requires it. I was wondering if there's any danger in using it this way. I remember reading somewhere that turning it off and on again actually takes more of a toll on the hardware than simply leaving it running, but is it true?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Slenderman, Sep 18, 2016
  2. Slenderman

BlueText

I did this with my last Mac, and it worked fine at the beginning but it wears out your computer faster. I would recommend, even if it's only for a couple hours. It'll allow your computer to cool down and rest. I think the turning it off and on again was for people who would jump on and off every couple of hours when you needed it. My mom would keep the computer on during the day, in hibernation mode if she wasn't using it, and shut it off when she left the office or went to bed.

BlueText, Sep 18, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Slenderman

abonnen

I usually leave mine on, because I have a chromebook and it doesn't really use the battery that much on sleeping mode (when it is shut). I think it depends on the computer and all my other computers I usually turn off when not in use.

abonnen, Sep 18, 2016
  4. Slenderman

Corzhens

I have always been consulting our tech in the office even for petty matters about my laptop because it is an issue of our office and I am afraid that I would be asked to pay if something goes wrong with it. As for shutting it down, it is definitely a good thing to give the computer a rest. When booting, the only abuse that you give to the computer is the accessing of the storage (HDD or SSD) to start up the OS and other related software. But when it is running, you are abusing all the parts since it is operational.

Corzhens, Sep 21, 2016
  5. Slenderman

clair02

I've been switching mine off every night. I thought that was the right thing to do. I think from reading the other replies that I made the right call. I try my best to give my laptop a rest every night because it's on the whole day and I'm always busy working on it. I don't know if switching it off will extend it's life, but I'm hoping it doesn't hurt it.

clair02, Sep 21, 2016
  6. Slenderman

Aree Wongwanlee

I do shut down my laptop when I am not going to use it for more than an hour. Probably this is just a holdover habit from the early days of computers. New models have a way of going to sleep by themselves if they are not used for a certain amount of time. I suppose when they are asleep nothing is going on and therefore nothing is being worn out, too.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 21, 2016
  7. Slenderman

acerme2

I shut my laptop down once a week when I have to be away for hours on weekends. At night before I retire, I just fold the laptop and leave it on my desk. I do this because I frequently have to access the same sites the following day and I don't want to waste my time logging in to those sites again. I would also leave the Word file or spreadsheet open so that they will be readily accessible when I open the laptop the following day. It doesn't discharge the battery at all. If I do that with a desktop, that would be costly in terms of electricity and wear out factor.

acerme2, Sep 23, 2016
  8. Slenderman

AntonioCalcano

Most laptops have a hibernate function much like desktop computer, they will go to sleep when you don't need them and then come back from it when you start using it; so you don't need to actually shut it down since it will barely consume any power when in sleep mode.

AntonioCalcano, Sep 24, 2016
  9. Slenderman

Krissttina Isobe

Well, I'd turn it off when not in use because I feel it wastes electricity if left on when not in use. The library turns off their computers daily when they close and turn it on when they open, so this is a good practice to do to keep your computer lasting longer. Televisions are the same like any mechanical thing it needs rest. You'll save electricity when you turn it off when you don't use your computer.

Krissttina Isobe, Sep 24, 2016
  10. Slenderman

Allen1

Yоu nеvеr shutdоwn yоur lаptоp unlеss yоu аrе аskеd tо dо sо by sесurity. Аll lаptоps аrе mаdе tо bе оn аll thе timе. I dоn't mеаn numbеr сrunсhing 24/7, but whеn nоt in usе, just slееp thе mасhinе, сlоsе thе lid. Thаt is mоrе thаn еnоugh.
    It dоеsn't mаttеr but yоu аrе nоt sаving thе bаttеriеs, thе nеw Lithium bаttеriеs tаkе саrе оf thеmsеlvеs, thеy сhаrgе аnd dis-сhаrgе оn thеir оwn аnd dо nоt саusе fаkе bоttоms оr tоps.
    Yоu оnly irritаtе yоursеlf by turning оn аnd оff thе mасhinе аll thе timе instеаd оf dоing аlmоst instаnt оn.
    Sаmе gоеs fоr dеsktоp mасhinеs. I hаvе nеvеr turnеd оff my dеsktоp mасhinе whiсh is gоing оn 5 yеаrs nоw, surе thеrе еlесtriсity hаs gоnе оff а fеw timеs аnd it dоеs nоt turn itsеlf оn аftеr а pоwеr fаilurе (mоst pс's diе this wаy), but аftеr а fеw hоurs оf dоing nоthing it gоеs tо slееp аnd is аlmоst instаnt оn.

Allen1, Sep 24, 2016
  11. Slenderman

IcyBC

I believe this is the best way to go and a good habit to adapt! My sister leaves her Mac on 24/7, and kept hers on charger too. From the common sense point of view, I think it is not right but it's her call and I don't bother to discuss this with her. If she can afford to get a new one, then go for it.

I shut my laptop down when I know I am not using it for a few hours. I don't want to waste my battery and it is better to reboost anyway!

IcyBC, Sep 25, 2016
  12. Slenderman

Fuzyon

You should virtually have no problem turning on and off your PC everytime you don't use it, your hardware will not get "used up". You don't really need to do it though, whenever you push your screen down against your keyboard your laptop goes into "Sleep" mode unless there's something important running. When you're in that mode your computer will not run or use any energy.

Fuzyon, Sep 25, 2016
  13. Slenderman

SirJoe

I shut mine down if I am not going to use it for a while. I have left the computer running expecting it to hibernate but it didn't because it was running a video that I forgot to switch off, so I prefer to switch it off, and it gives it a chance to cool down.

SirJoe, Sep 25, 2016
Ask a Question