Shock proof laptop

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Corzhens, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

Our tech in the office was chatting with a programmer about a laptop that is shock proof. He said that there is a prototype by Dell that has a shock absorber for the hard disk and also for the entire computer. The tiny springs are welded in the case before placing the motherboard which in effect gives protection for it is not exactly touching the case. However, the shock proof laptop remains in the experimental stages because it has been encountering many problems particularly with the hard disk. I had wanted to intrude by mentioning SSD instead of HDD because SSD has no moving parts and easier to protect with shock absorber coil spring. But they are geeks and I'm not.

Corzhens, Aug 18, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. Corzhens

rz3300

Well I must admit that this is something that has never even crossed my mind as something that I might need. I am sure that there are people out there, and if the company is developing this then they must know that there is a market out there. I am just having trouble seeing who the market is, but maybe it will come to me in time. Interesting stuff, though, and thanks for sharing.

rz3300, Aug 18, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. Corzhens

SirJoe

SSD would be a great idea for a laptop of that type. There are still a lot of people that are resistant too the idea of SSD but it is the future. Prices have dropped and everything is pointing to more space for less money. They should really consider it.

SirJoe, Aug 26, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. Corzhens

IcyBC

Yes, I haven't thought about this either, and it is interesting to know! I still have a lot to learn and catch up with today technology.

This: "I had wanted to intrude by mentioning SSD instead of HDD because SSD has no moving parts and easier to protect with shock absorber coil spring. But they are geeks and I'm not" makes perfect sense to me!

IcyBC, Aug 26, 2016
  5. Corzhens

vinaya

I have never tried a shock proof laptop, because the features I look in a laptop are design, battery performance, speed performance, price and durability. I have heard about Dell shock proof laptop, however, I don't know which model it is. MY cousin is using Dell laptop and he says it is shock proof.

vinaya, Aug 26, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  6. Corzhens

SirJoe

If durability is of great importance to you then take a look at the Caterpillar Laptops, they should be known as the ever lasts. The only big problem they have is the hefty price tag.

SirJoe, Aug 29, 2016
  7. Corzhens

Laila Hussain

Shock proof laptops totally new term for me because i never hear it before.

Laila Hussain, Aug 29, 2016
  8. Corzhens

Elektron

Well, I've heard of shock proof cases and that sort of thing, but a laptop that does not break? That's quite hard to believe, I would have to do some research on it and see how it works, it's a new technology for me, for real.

Elektron, Aug 29, 2016
  9. Corzhens

Laila Hussain

Totally Agree with Elekron and I was also thinking about to do some research on it. :)

Laila Hussain, Aug 30, 2016
  10. Corzhens

TheViper

To be honest owning a shock proof laptop would only be something I'd get because it sounds cool. We all have those features that should be "revolutionary" but we don't actually care about. Having a shock proof laptop would just be something nice to tell someone asking. Though, if lightening strikes while I'm outside then I'm in good hands.

TheViper, Sep 1, 2016
  11. Corzhens

Corzhens

Maybe you can ask your cousin for the details of that shock proof laptop because I am interested, not really to buy one but for my personal knowledge. Laptop is invented for its portability and we know that the laptop is susceptible to slips and drops. So what happens if the laptop falls on the floor? Or how about if someone would accidentally sit on it? For sure if the shockproof laptop will come out in the market, it will be fashionable in no time at all.

Corzhens, Sep 1, 2016
  12. Corzhens

something back

something back, Sep 1, 2016
  13. Corzhens

Aree Wongwanlee

A shockproof laptop? How shockproof? Like falling 30 meters and still work fine? Don't see much benefit actually. Falling 30 meters is like throwing the laptop out of the sixth floor window. Doesn't happen often enough to make it necessary, I think.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 1, 2016
    Laila Hussain likes this.
  14. Corzhens

Laila Hussain

You are absolutely right, Shockproof laptop term does not make any sense for me as well. I also discussed this matter to various laptops distributors in UK like Laptop Outlet , Ebuyer and Laptops Direct but unfortunately could not get any positive response from all of them.

Laila Hussain, Sep 19, 2016
  15. Corzhens

djtech

Well, the panasonic toughbooks were somewhat shockproof. If you really want a shockproof laptop, here's how to modify one:
    First, buy a laptop that claims to be tough and is built for industrial use, like the toughbook. Then, buy covers for these laptops that are military grade protection covers. These are tested in real-life tough conditions and start at around $100. Once you've put those on, I believe everything else will work fine.

BTW, the whole protection mechanism that claims to protect the hard drive when it physically crashes is really old. I believe IBM was the first company to incorporate in their laptops back when they used to produce work laptops.

djtech, Sep 21, 2016
  16. Corzhens

Laila Hussain

I think the actual look of laptop will be vanished after the protection mechanism.lol

Laila Hussain, Sep 21, 2016
  17. Corzhens

SirJoe

I really wonder if it measures up to the reference in the market for this type of computer. [​IMG]

These were absolutely bullet proof and would last a life time.

SirJoe, Sep 21, 2016
  18. Corzhens

Aree Wongwanlee

Now, why would you want a laptop which would last a lifetime? Technology advances very fast. in just six months there will be new models. In a year, the new models would be twice as fast. In three years, changes in software will make the older models impossible to use. Personally, I would prefer that laptops are sold cheaper, even if they would last only a year or so. Then I would be able to buy a new one earlier.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 21, 2016
  19. Corzhens

remnant

In the absence of a shockproof laptop, everything else is on the precipice. There are some mobile phones that have a protective plastic casing which absorbs shock. Since the laptop is bigger, it can do well to have shock absorbers at the junctions and weak points.

remnant, Sep 21, 2016
  20. Corzhens

AntonioCalcano

I don't think shockproof laptops are necessary at all, only if you're in an extreme environment then you would benefit from it, but for the most part you only need to take care of your laptop; there are people throwing around their laptops not treating them right and then they complain it stops working for them. Only proper care should suffice.

AntonioCalcano, Sep 21, 2016
Ask a Question