Sharing a folder from Linpus to LAN workgroup?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KjeldOlesen, Jul 31, 2008.

1. KjeldOlesen

KjeldOlesen

Hi

How does one set up file and folder sharing on the Linpus OS?

Want to access the shared folders from XP and Vista in a workgroup.

If this is not straightforward I'll just install XP on the AA1.

Kjeld Olesen

KjeldOlesen, Jul 31, 2008
  2. KjeldOlesen

shihan

Straight forward is a matter of opinion.

What i would do is install "system-config-samba" (go to a terminal and type "yum install -y system-config-samba"). Then run it (alt-f2, system-config-samba).

Create a user first (preferences menu -> samba users, add user) and add a user as "user" with the unix username of "user" - then set a password (samba and the local machine will have different passwords and it doesnt need to be that way all the time, but on the aa1 its going to be simpler just to live with it).

Next, click on the add share button and share a directory out (/ is the root so if you absolutely wanted to share everything you could share / - NOT RECOMMENDED!) /mnt/home is your home or /home/user.
    When you do add a share, make sure you go to the "Access" tab and allow someone to access it.

Unfortunately, samba doesnt seem to startup automagically on startup so you would have to start a terminal everytime you wanted to get to your shares and run "sudo /sbin/service smb restart" (or just alt-f2 and the same command).

Dont know if i'd call that entirely straight forward or not really.

shihan, Aug 3, 2008
  3. KjeldOlesen

selwyn_ali

thank for the tips,

i have already install and following all the guide here, now i can see my AA1 from my xp,

on the other hand, i cannot see my Xp from my AA1 or where should i look in my AA1??

and one more thing, how do i use my network printer? i can detect it in setting , printer, but i do not have the driver. is there another way or i must have a linux driver for my printer??

thanks for this tips

selwyn

selwyn_ali, Aug 6, 2008
  4. KjeldOlesen

selwyn_ali

Hallo again

a strange thing happen, after i shut down both computer and the next day i open both computer (my Xp and my AA1), my xp cannot detect my AA1 again.
    i did not change any setting and it just happen

any one can help??

thanks a lot

selwyn

selwyn_ali, Aug 7, 2008
  5. KjeldOlesen

aspirin

This may help: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1073

Although it addresses a wireless share, it works equally well with wired.

Hope this helps

aspirin, Aug 16, 2008
Ask a Question