shall I take it back

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by starchild42, Dec 30, 2008.

1. starchild42

starchild42

Hi

Bought the Acer Aspire One 150 linux lite version with 120gb hard drive, have uploaded all the live updates including firefox 3.03.

Most upset at this product as my daughter cannot get in to all her favorite sites so wanted to know if it was the machine, software or firefox settings.

I know Hotmail will not work so set up gmail as suggested, but we could not get past the log in screen as it just went blank with DONE in the corner. Facebook will load but if you click on photos the screen freezes. Myspace you ge tthe lof in screen but cannot get past this. BBC website will not play video content.

Is the product really that poor? Went back to Currys today and there suggesting was to wipe it and put XP on it. I said i would give myself 2 days to sort this out or they were going to have to give me my money back.

Can anyone help or work out what is going wrong. I would say I was pretty savy techy wise and have a dell xps laptop and a Packard Bell Pc so had my fair share of issues in the past but this just takes the .................

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

starchild42, Dec 30, 2008
  2. starchild42

melhiore

The product is not that poor. It's rather USER. Interesting is that most of us does not have any problems with Linux. I have two systems installed and everything works for me...

melhiore, Dec 30, 2008
  3. starchild42

starchild42

So I take it out the box, connect it to my wireless network, download all the live updates and it's my fault I cant get in to the web sites.

Here is another one
    south west trains web side. Tried to use the embedded feature on the right hand side to try and find out the time of a train added the details clicked "next" and then .............

Connection Interrupted
    The document contains no data
    The network link was interupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

You click on "try again" and nothing happens at all apart from the timer goes round and round forever

4. starchild42

melhiore

Is the problem the same with ALL web pages?? Are you sure you do not have problems with wireless?? There is already couple of threads about Wi-Fi problems. I do not think you have problem with web browser - it's rather wireless.

melhiore, Dec 30, 2008
  5. starchild42

starchild42

I can't see why? I am sitting here on a Dell XPS laptop running Vista and not having any problems with any web content

Paul

6. starchild42

woodland

No probs here logging in to either facebook or gmail.... but it beats me why you can't log in

search the forum for watching video on bbc have seen questions on and solutions for that one

woodland, Dec 30, 2008
  7. starchild42

melhiore

There is a reason I ask this question... We're not interested in your Vista laptop at the moment - are we?? Can you tell you have problems with all web pages or just with couple of them??

melhiore, Dec 30, 2008
  8. starchild42

starchild42

Sorry i thought I had included everything in the first post. Looking at it now most issues seem to revolve around clicking embedded items such as "next" or submit"

9. starchild42

melhiore

melhiore, Dec 30, 2008
  10. starchild42

starchild42

Still no luck with this and am tearing my hair out. The problem seems to be with any site with a "next" , "submit" or " log in" icon on the screen. It will not take you any further and eventually times you out. I have no rpblem with my other Pc or laptop, so am not convinced it is a Network issue. Will not worked wired or via Wi-Fi.

starchild42, Dec 31, 2008
  11. starchild42

melhiore

OK, in that case try Recovery. Instructions how to do that you can find in this forum. In worst case just install Windows if you can get over Linux...

melhiore, Dec 31, 2008
  12. starchild42

esaym

Firefox is a web browser that works across all platforms, windows, linux, mac, solaris, etc. The experience will be the same each time for each one. If you have a windows pc install firefox on it to see if it is a firefox problem. However what you describe seems to be a wireless problem. What kind of wireless router do you have? Maybe the firewall on it is blocking outgoing requests from the acer? Or maybe your acer is not connecting to the wireless in your house but maybe one across the street? I would first find a free public wifi spot and try your acer on that. I bet it will work fine. Some wireless routers for the consumer market are really cheesy and have bad compatibility with may wireless client chipsets.

esaym, Dec 31, 2008
  13. starchild42

starchild42

It connects fine to my wireless network and connects fine to sites such as youtube. It seems to be sites where it is submitting or receiving data, cookies maybe? I will try a public wifi hotspot. It is definitely connected to my Talk Talk account as I input the WEP encryption key on.

Worse site by far is Myspace.

starchild42, Dec 31, 2008
  14. starchild42

ginguskahn

You should be thanking it :lol:

Have you tried another browser? Why not just install Opera or something and see if you get the same problem?

ginguskahn, Dec 31, 2008
  15. starchild42

carlos_arias1

if i were u, i'l returned it for the one with windows xp, i really don't know why people are still buying one with Linux, i mean, the xp one never had any problems and u can always install Linux in it

carlos_arias1, Dec 31, 2008
  16. starchild42

meng

starchild, as a Linux user myself, and one who has a perfectly functioning Aspire One running Ubuntu Netbook Remix, I can't explain why you're having difficulties. But perhaps the answer for you IS to take it back for a Windows unit, and all the best of luck with that one. No need to tear your hair out, you may need it later on!

Yes, it must be that those of us who preferred buying the Linux version are just CRAZY! :D Also crazy are those folks who are posting about their problems in the Windows XP section of these forums! Because the XP version never has any problems. :D

meng, Jan 1, 2009
  17. starchild42

Rapax

That's very weird indeed. I've never had any such trouble on facebook or gmail. Just a wild suggestion: did you maybe set up some very strict rules for popup blocking and redirecting, that are now forbidding even the most innocent activities?

Maybe just as a test, try installing another browser, Opera maybe, and see if the problems persist.

Rapax, Jan 3, 2009
  18. starchild42

janss

The only thing I can think of, is for you to check your firefox settings and make sure you have JavaScript enabled...

Though you shouldn't be able to use Youtube either without JS...

janss, Jan 3, 2009
  19. starchild42

Texman

I agree with the poster about returning yours for one with XP.... Except for a noisey fan my Aspire has worked great from the get go. No problems with any websites, browsing etc..... Once I resolve the fan issue I'll be totally satisfied...

Texman, Jan 3, 2009
  20. starchild42

naeemsta

why not install windows xp Pro sp2 ?
    i just installed xp sp2 pro i had some problems but were solved.. anyways if you want try using a proxy.

naeemsta, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question