Setting up my new laptop was a breeze!!

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by cluckeyo, Jul 28, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo

This was a second new laptop that I bought which I am using for internet only. So there was no need to load programs. All I needed to do was load Google Chrome. When I signed into Chrome, all my settings transferred from all my other devices. They are interconnected. I had loaded all important documents to Google Drive awhile back, even my photos. So when I signed into Google Chrome, I got gmail, the G Drive, all my apps from the web store, my history favorites, and password with autofill. The thing virtually set up in 5 minutes. I'm not sure I really even need an antivirus with this arrangement.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    cluckeyo, Jul 28, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe and IcyBC like this.
  2. cluckeyo

Corzhens

Gee, I didn't know that Google Chrome has the capability for the setup. But unfortunately, I cannot test that setup because my laptop is blocked for internet use. It is my official computer in the office and the tech had disabled the internet capability so it cannot be used in surfing and also in games. But when we purchase a new laptop soon, I guess this thread would be a big help for the setting.

Corzhens, Jul 28, 2016
    cluckeyo likes this.
  3. cluckeyo

IcyBC

Wow, that is nice that everything got set up so quickly, and like @Corzhens I didn't know that Google Chrome has that capacity either. Hope you enjoy both of your new laptops!

IcyBC, Jul 28, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

SirJoe

Google Chrome is based on Linux so in principle you shouldn't that many problems with malware, but if you want there are some good free firewalls for Linux based systems. All you have to do is search for Linux firewalls.

SirJoe, Jul 28, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  5. cluckeyo

rz3300

Well that does sound like a hassle free experience. I think that I had something similar when I purchased my Chromebook, but that was kind of expected just because it is not your typical laptop. Every time I have gotten a real laptop though, I know real is not the ideal word there, it has taken a little more than that, but it seems like you avoided all that. Thanks for sharing.

rz3300, Jul 31, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  6. cluckeyo

Vash

As long as you are connected to the internet, it is a good idea to use an antivirus program. In fact, almost all of the viruses and spyware are coming from the internet these days. Since you are using the computer for browsing the internet, you definitely need it.

I mostly use my Surface Pro 4 for browsing, and Office. Office certainly will not produce virus on its own. I use both Kaspersky and Malwarebytes, both are for protection against viruses, malware, etc. from the internet.

Vash, Aug 1, 2016
  7. cluckeyo

Krissttina Isobe

That's so nice that things got set up so quickly for you to use. It's nice to be able to use your device quickly!

Krissttina Isobe, Aug 1, 2016
  8. cluckeyo

Fuzyon

Did you buy a Chromebook or a generic OS machine? A Chrome backup is helpful but I would rarely say it's the only thing that needs to be done when I'm reinstalling Windows. Anyway, I love that Google care so much about backups, I basically have the same settings on my Chrome browser from 4 years ago because I was able to keep them tied to my account. It's great!

Fuzyon, Aug 3, 2016
Ask a Question