Set login password?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by serp86, Sep 6, 2008.

1. serp86

serp86

Hi

How do I configure the aspire one linpus so that it asks me for a password everytime I login?

I was asked to enter a password when I setup the aspire for the first time, but it never asks me for it. Everytime I boot it continues on to the desktop normally, leaving my laptop with no security.

Is there anyway to get a login screen (as those in windows, for example)?

Thanks

serp86, Sep 6, 2008
  2. serp86

miketurley

I have the same problem - except I am asked for my password after hibernation - but not on initial boot.

Help please - there are now two of us in trouble!

miketurley, Sep 6, 2008
  3. serp86

Grim Squeaker

You can set a password that needs to be entered every time the machine boots in the BIOS (press F2 when starting up). Unfortunately for some strange reason it is automatically stored in all caps (LIKE THIS) no matter how you enter it.

It is also possible to activate gdm on the machine, which will require you to login with a password every time. Unfortunately Acers live updates tend to undo this setting. See the topic on disabling autologin for more details:
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=363

As a side note: the password you entered when setting up the machine is the root password. It is needed everytime you wish to do something as root; like e.g. installing new programs.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question