Serious help needed please

Discussion in 'Linux' started by martyn1974, Feb 2, 2009.

1. martyn1974

martyn1974

Hi I have just bought a acer Aspire one running on Linux. Honestly I love it and hate it at the same time. Ive never used Linux before but was recommended by a friend. I have tried to download things like songbird for Linux goes great till after the download please tell me how do I install it. Have read on the forum about the right click please can you help set up the great little machine.

Many Thanks Martyn

martyn1974, Feb 2, 2009
  2. martyn1974

csmo

Hi Martyn. I assume you're running the Linpus Linux version. With Linpus things get a little more complicated than they need be because the interface (your four main menus) is locked for customization as default. That means that you need to do a little work-around before you will get your newly installed applications to become visible.

Fist you need to activate what is called the 'advanced mode':
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28#p158

Then you need to fiddle around with an xml document to make your apps visible:
    viewtopic.php?f=44&t=123

Alternatively, especially if you own the harddrive model, you might want to try out other Linux distros (versions) made for your netbook like "Ubuntu Netbook Remix", "Easy Peasy" and "Linux4One". They are far, far easier to amend to your likings without having to spend too much time if all you want is having easy access to your favorite programs without too much hassle.

One good thing about Linpus is that it's considerably faster than most other distros (without any tweaking) and it is also recommended to those who don't care how Linux works and don't want to learn, but just need a pretty interface without too many bells and whistles, and options. Your choice! :)

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

csmo, Feb 2, 2009
  3. martyn1974

martyn1974

Many thanks for that, sorry to be a pain but where would i be able to download the linux4one from? Must say I am really pleased with the notebook was recommended it by a computer shop but unfortunately their after sales needs a bit of work to put it politely :lol:

martyn1974, Feb 2, 2009
  4. martyn1974

csmo

Ah, you mean the we-got-your-money-already-so-stop-bothering-us-again-and-just-beat-it store? I have been to the same one I belive. :mrgreen:

In the upper right corner you'll find the search facility (which is hidden when not logged on). There are good topics around here on Ubuntu netbook remix, linux4one and Easy Peasy -- great distros for the little one.

csmo, Feb 2, 2009
  5. martyn1974

Corneilius

Hi Martin
    I felt the same when I got my linpus aspire one. The first mistake was to try and make it look like windows. I know the home screen looks pretty basic, but there is a reason for that, and thats the start up speed.

What really impresses me is the 15 second boot time and 40 second open browser connected to the net, no windows system I know of can do that. Once you start trying to put a pretty system on the netbook, you are always bloating that start up speed

Once you enable right click you will find the machine much easier to work with.

And if you really require the fancy desktop, why not buy the usb stick with Ubantu which can run the machine from your USB port and have a duel boot machine? Thats my intention in the long run, I'd hate to kill my Linpus now. :eek:

Corneilius, Feb 2, 2009
  6. martyn1974

libssd

Martyn,

I thought I posted a response earlier today, but it seems to have gone astray. I'm only 2 weeks ahead of you, and was equally frustrated for the first 48 hours of AA1 ownership. Hang in -- it can be a very satisfying little box.

Here are the things I wish I had known two weeks ago:

1. Buy a 2gb USB drive (for recovery disk) and an 8gb USB drive (for backups)

2. Read "Ten tweaks for a new Aspire One" http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05 ... _one_tips/ Ignore tweak #10, as FireFox 3 is now available from the Acer software site.

3. After making a recovery USB, put it in the packing case your computer came in; with luck, you will never need it, but it's nice to have for ultimate disaster recovery.

4. Before going past tweak #3, make a backup USB. http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html I have never used a simpler backup/restore program than aa1backup.

5. Read all four installments (as of February 2, 2009) of "The Netbook newbies guide to Linux."
    Episode 1: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/17 ... x_guide_1/ Chris Bidmead's writing is exceptionally clear, and makes almost no assumptions about prior knowledge of Linux.

After getting this background reading out of the way, feel free to proceed with whichever of the 10 tweaks interests you. You have a complete working backup, so if you shoot yourself in the foot, you can restore your AA1 to its previous condition in 15 minutes or so.

Ask questions. People on this forum are very willing to share.

libssd, Feb 3, 2009
Ask a Question