Sent in brand new unit for repairs and it comes back damaged

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by lonnieh, Dec 25, 2008.

1. lonnieh

lonnieh

Hi all, I've been watching the forums on a monitor 20 floors below sea level from a bunker.

I purchased an AOA from NewEgg for 249.99 with free shipping. As soon as I ripped open the box and turned the unit on I immediately noticed that something was wrong, the screen wasn't being utilized properly. Only 3/4 of the screen was viewable, the rest was a black bar on the right. After work the next day, I called tech support and talked to a tech, a surprisingly intelligent guy, who then issued me an RMA authorization. I packed and shipped the unit the same day. Today, the laptop was delivered back to me with a note stating that the motherboard and LCD has been replaced. Look what else was done:

Nice little damage above the plug covering the screw. That one is definitely noticable.
    [​IMG]

Hmm... I have no idea. What in the heck is with the junk under those rubber plugs? Cloth?!?
    [​IMG]

Some more lovely scratches from the idiot who took this thing apart. Now look at that hinge, what's not right about that? Everything. Keep in mind that most of those tiny scratches are exacerbated by the flash on my camera while the larger ones are new from the repair center.
    [​IMG]

Not to mention the visual damage, after using the AOA for a few minutes, I noticed that the left SD card slot does not accept cards freely as the card locking mechanism seems to be binding with something.

Here's the fun part. I call after calming myself down. I am elevated to a "Level 2" CSR who tells me that the repair tech stated that this unit arrived with surface scratches. A lengthy discussion ensues. We come to the conclusion that he can not rectify my problems so I ask him to elevate me to a supervisor. He tells me that he is unable to do so. Acer is calling me a liar. I recieved the AOA on 12/3. RMA authorization and shipped back on 12/4. Arrived at repair facility at 12/8. This computer was not out of the box for more than 24 hours. Not only that, I have a paper trail to prove it.

Let me ask you guys and gals. The CSR, James, informed me that upon arrival, all units are completely inspected. It is completely obvious that this computer was dismantled improperly. Do you believe that if I had attempted to fix the item and sent it to the repair center with visible marks of an attempted dismantling they would have accepted the unit and replaced two major components?!? I believe it would have been rejected and returned.

Sorry for the long first post, just wanted to chime in and vent. I think I'm going to love the AOA when and if I get this problem situated. Let me know what you guys and gals think.

lonnieh, Dec 25, 2008
  2. lonnieh

tmn72tx

That just really bites. The tech that did the work sure didn't button up very well, or take apart very carefully.

You'll have to keep us posted on how this turns out. I'm wishing you the best, and hope that Acer does right by you.

Good luck!

tmn72tx, Dec 25, 2008
  3. lonnieh

Guest Guest

I guess to learn from this take dated pictures right before you pack it up. I would think if those scratches where there when they received they would of noted it in the records plus they probably would of questioned covering it in warrenty because it would of looked like you opened up based on the location of the damage.

Guest, Dec 31, 2008
  4. lonnieh

solman

so you sent it back to newegg and they sent it to acer for repair? or did newegg do the "repairs" themselves?

did newegg give you the option to return the unit for a refund when you first called about the screen problem?

that's some crazy sh!t. i can totally understand if you were screaming at them over the phone, but hope you didn't because that never helps get things worked out. hope newegg makes it right for you, bc that sucks how things turned out.

solman, Dec 31, 2008
  5. lonnieh

lonnieh

That's where I went wrong, I sent it to Acer directly instead of NewEgg. I read NewEggs' policy on computer RMAs and it scared me a bit. I should have thought twice about that one.

lonnieh, Dec 31, 2008
  6. lonnieh

solman

i bought mine from newegg too. and within the first 2 days of messing around with it, i guess i stressed out the bios and got the infamous black screen.

i called newegg and they gave me an RMA to return the unit, no arguments at all. but i fixed the bios and all is well, so i never returned it. maybe call newegg and try to return it now? i know, it's a little sneaky. :twisted:

solman, Dec 31, 2008
  7. lonnieh

David-W

My aa1 came back yesterday with the same fault as yours, mine has scratches right round the bezel. All I care about now is that it works and maybe I can polish the scratches out later.

David-W, Jan 10, 2009
  8. lonnieh

sixunderground

Unfortunately, I have to second. Mine died in first week of January, the backlight of display simply went off. I called in the service, the UPS guy picked up the device and 12 days later he brought me a package. I unpacked the box and I was shocked - the bezel around the display is full of scratches, even the plastic on webcam is scratched, the display as well. According to paper I found in the box, there was a display replacement needed.
    I sent in a device which was 2 weeks old, was used very carefully and it had absolutely no scratches. And they sent me a damaged notebok? Not to mention the scratches, besides this, the backlight of LCD still doesn't work. Look at the attached picture!
    I made a very angry call to service, I spent about 20 minutes talking to a guy who told me it's not possible that they send out damaged - I made pictures and sent them to his email, an hour later I received a reply that I should sent in the complete box of AAO and I'll get a brand new unboxed replacement. I called UPS, they picked it up and I'm still waiting when my new one will arrive...
    [​IMG]

sixunderground, Jan 25, 2009
Ask a Question