Security/file creation

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by RPZ, Jun 15, 2009.

1. RPZ

RPZ

I have been reading up on Linux security, and wanting to begin somewhere, I attempted to find (it is not present) and then create a new file using the root terminal which would log all root login requests. Well, I tried a "touch" command - and get "no such file or directory". Is there a file creation command for Linpus that can be used in a root terminal for this? Or perhaps the file is called something else if already present in the Linpus OS?

The file should apparently normally be "/var/adm/loginlog". The reason I would like to start here is I figure any serious attempt to hack my machine might betray itself by strings of root login attempts.

RPZ, Jun 15, 2009
  2. RPZ

JerryP

touch. But touch won't create directories; my guess is that /var/adm/ doesn't exist. mkdir /var/adm will create the adm directory.

JerryP, Jun 15, 2009
  3. RPZ

RPZ

OK; /var/adm exists, and I found a few of the files in terminal, and xarchive. But I do not see a root login file. How do I create a file at root in var?

RPZ, Jun 16, 2009
  4. RPZ

JerryP

Do you have touch? which touch in a terminal window should tell you.
    Else, do: cat /dev/null > /var/adm/loginlog

JerryP, Jun 16, 2009
  5. RPZ

RPZ

Not sure; except for some software updates a few packages I thought might be useful in the stock "package manager" I am using the standard OS Linpus Lite.

RPZ, Jun 17, 2009
Ask a Question