Secure wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by josh1999, Dec 26, 2009.

1. josh1999

josh1999

Hi
    I have a new Aspire One running XP, the wireless only works with our linksys router if security is disabled. If I try to use wpa or wep the acer see's the wireless point as a low strength signal and will not connect. Any ideas??

thanks

Josh

josh1999, Dec 26, 2009
  2. josh1999

Forone

No idea about Linksys. Be sure you've visited Microsoft Update and installed the latest Atheros driver (shown as an "optional" download there if you don't have it.) That update makes a real difference to performance.

If a reality check helps, my own signal shows up as "excellent" all green bars any room in a condo, on a list of about twenty that extends down to businesses and homes several blocks away, using everything from unsecured to wep to wpa to wpa2 - so there's no inherent weakness about what the device will pick up. Obviously, once recognized the software should permit a connection (I use WPA2) if you have the right passphrase or however you've configured your router.

Forone, Dec 26, 2009
Ask a Question