'Second Largest' Black Hole in the Milky Way Discovered

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

[​IMG]

A team of Japanese astronomers has discovered an enigmatic gas cloud just 200 light years away from the centre of the Milky Way that can be the possible missing link in the black hole evolution.

This may be the first detection of an intermediate mass black hole (IMBH).

Astronomers already know about two sizes of black holes: stellar-mass black holes, formed after the gigantic explosions of very massive stars and supermassive black holes (SMBH) often found at the centres of galaxies.

The mass of SMBH ranges from several million to billions of times the mass of the Sun.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/science/news/second-largest-black-hole-in-the-milky-way-discovered-790558

Sefie, Jan 18, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. Sefie

Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe, Jan 18, 2016
  3. Sefie

PingPongCall

Oh my god, looking at this gives me anxiety. my gobs that's truly terrifying. It's like staring into the face of death.

PingPongCall, Jan 18, 2016
  4. Sefie

Sefie

The pictures gave me goosebumps! Beautiful! The video is short, but rather intense if you ask me! I think they were talking about a high chance of really strong eruptions one years ago or so, but they said we might face some tech issues as a result, thankfully it wasn't as bad as they said. Still amazing... to think the sun will one day engulf our planet it mind blowing (thousands and thousands of years later) once the sun runs out of power and dies. It's going to be an amazing show, sadly no one will be around to see it. The sun is so glorious and scary at the same time!

Sefie, Jan 20, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  5. Sefie

IcyBC

Goodness gracious! What is happening? It is fascinating to see and also scary to think about all of these changes!

IcyBC, Jan 21, 2016
  6. Sefie

PingPongCall

That's what I'm saying here, It's nightmarish

PingPongCall, Jan 21, 2016
Ask a Question