SDHC recognised as HDD

Discussion in 'Windows' started by eezeerider, Oct 23, 2008.

1. eezeerider

eezeerider

Someone posted a guide to getting XP to recognise the expansion slot as a HDD. Iirc it involved installing a Toshiba driver and a bit of registry editing but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Anyone have the link?

eezeerider, Oct 23, 2008
  2. eezeerider

Veazer

Veazer, Oct 24, 2008
  3. eezeerider

eezeerider

Thankyou, i'll give that a bash tonight.

eezeerider, Oct 24, 2008
  4. eezeerider

fortunz

What's the advantage to having it recognized as a drive?

fortunz, Nov 4, 2008
  5. eezeerider

eezeerider

It allows you to do everything you can with a regular HD (setting uo RAID etc). Also some software doesn't like being installed to a removable disk.

eezeerider, Nov 4, 2008
  6. eezeerider

james40lancs

how would would windows xp run booting off a sdhc card and not the ssd

james40lancs, Nov 4, 2008
  7. eezeerider

eezeerider

Still can't be done afaik, the changes to have the SD card as a HD are all driver based inside XP so the AA0 needs to boot first (the BIOS still doesn't recognise the card as a HDD, only windows does).

The reason you can't run XP from a SD card is simply because the AAO BIOS doesn't offer any option to boot from it, installing the OS onto the card is fairly easy but with no option for the One to boot from it it's pretty pointless.

eezeerider, Nov 4, 2008
  8. eezeerider

dale

can you please tell me how to do it exactly? I cant seem to do it right... :?:

dale, Nov 21, 2008
  9. eezeerider

dismal

10. eezeerider

dale

thanks!

will try this this week! :D

dale, Nov 24, 2008
  11. eezeerider

JimmiG

I can confirm that it works:
    [​IMG]
    (I chose to keep the second SD card as a removable device because I sometimes swap it for the SD card in my digi cam)

You need to edit the .inf, though. Simply trying to force the driver to install anyway will not work.

The instructions are not totally accurate when applied to the AAO, but I was able to figure it out. Where it sais "remove everything after the heading [cfadisk_device]" I think you're actually meant to keep the "[Strings]
    HGST = "Hitachi Global Storage Technologies"
    Microdrive_devdesc = "Hitachi Microdrive" bit at the very end of the file.

Instead of navigating to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBSTOR", you should navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\SD", because we are going to turn the SD card and not a USB flash drive into a fixed drive. On my machine, the bit to put after the comma was "SD\VID_41&OID_3432&PID_SD8GB&REV_2.0".

Save the inf and then just install the driver for one or both of the SD card readers using the "Have Disk" method, ignoring any warning messages.

It's probably a good idea to back up everything before doing this, in case the driver causes your drive or SD cards to get corrupted.

After having converted the SD card into a fixed drive, you can use this program to easily move your personal files th the SD card without the messy registry editing:
    http://www.eazsolution.com/en/download_foldermover.php

JimmiG, Nov 24, 2008
  12. eezeerider

jpgirl

Worked perfect for me with NO registry editing whatsoever.
    Downloaded the hitachi driver, unzipped it.
    Went to the device manager and clicked on the card slot I wanted to install the driver for ( I wanted to keep the right hand slot as is).
    Click update driver, when it asks if you want to search pick the no, I have the disk option and select the .inf file you downloaded then select Hitachi microdrive,
    reboot
    done

easy as pie :)

Thanks!

jpgirl, Jan 17, 2009
  13. eezeerider

jackluo923

You can get a card reader and put your sdhc card in the card reader. Then install a customized version of XP onto the SDHC.

jackluo923, Jan 18, 2009
  14. eezeerider

kebhen

Hi. This is my first post. I was wondering if this method would be worthwhile to set up an SDHC card to use as your pagefile on a Windows XP machine. I mean would it not be a little quicker then using your HDrive? Sort of like an ebooster type thing.

kebhen, Jan 21, 2009
  15. eezeerider

Andy72

Nice!! I have been searching for a solution like this, Can you please add a link to this driver you have been using??

Andy72, Mar 12, 2009
  16. eezeerider

jackluo923

setting pagefile on SD cards, even the fastest sd cards will be slower than hdd. Page file is optimized for HDD.
    You can set a eboostr cache on your SD card however. Eboostr works in a different way than page file and is optimized for flash storage.
    Also, for you to set page file on an SD card, you must use an external card reader. Internal card reader are PCI-express based, not USB based. It needs drivers in order to read flash cards, but page file is needed before windows loads the driver.
    This is also the reason why most people cannot boot from internal card readers.

jackluo923, Mar 12, 2009
  17. eezeerider

jpgirl

THe link was listed in the second post of this thread but it appears to be down now.
    If you go here http://www.eeefiles.com/index.php?act=view&id=7
    and scroll to the bottom of the page you will see a red button that says download, that should be the correct driver.

jpgirl, Mar 12, 2009
  18. eezeerider

rabergnc

I have tried loading this driver (noted in the immediately preceding post) a few times and each time, the SDHC card remains identified as a removable device. What am I doing wrong?. Is there another driver or does anyone have a link to one? I really would like to be able to move a few folders on my AAO. Thanks.

Update 3/17/09: Finally got it working. Only took 1 and 1/2 days to figure out the stupid mistake I was making!!

rabergnc, Mar 15, 2009
Ask a Question