SDHC memory card and storage expansion

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by criskeune, Sep 27, 2008.

1. criskeune

criskeune

Hello,

I have bought a SDHC 8G, class 4 memory card from Kingston to use in the storage expansion of my Acer Aspire One. But when I insert this card in the Storage Expansion (left slot) of my AAO (Linux Linpus) , I get an error message that says:

Failed to mount "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_part1_size_7863206400". Given device "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_part1_size_7863206400" is not a volume or drive.

I try to see if the card is at least recognized by Linux, but there is no change in the size of the disk, or even another device recognized at the "my files" screen. The same error happens when I insert the card in the right slot card.

I am using the Linpus advanced mode.

Someone here can tell me what can be happening? Some error or O. S. Linux "bad state"? Or maybe it is something with the formating of my card? I suspect that this card may not be a "brand new one", since I bought it in a sort of "e-bay" auction (though the seller granted me it was a new product, without use).

Can someone give me some help about this?

Best regards,

Cristina

criskeune, Sep 27, 2008
  2. criskeune

cpchan

Insert the card and post the output of:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l

cpchan, Sep 27, 2008
  3. criskeune

criskeune

I have done this and I have only a screen that looks like Greek to me (I know Greek even more than Linux language) ... And cannot even use the "copy & paste" command in that "Terminal window thing" to put it here.

Well, I simply don't know why my SDHC memory card is still not recognized by Linux..... And I payed a not so cheap price for it and I cannot use it ...... :evil:

Cheers,

Cristina

criskeune, Sep 27, 2008
  4. criskeune

criskeune

Hello,

It's me again... Please, someome help me... I have even written an angry e-mail to the seller of this SDHC memory card ... I run sudo fdisk -l in the terminal window and what I found?? That the card is not a 8GB SDHC card, but a 4GB (although the Kignston label is a 8GB SDHC) ... The fact is: I cannot mount this card in my AAO ... I have tried everything, even to install the Gparted, but I could not format or anything else with this card... The message that appears when I insert it in the left or right slot is that one in my first post. I have run also "dmesg", and it seem tht the system recognizes the card, but there are some errors.....I could post here the result of the dmesg, but I have no idea of how to "copy" thee results, since in my terminal windows it seems that the "select all" command is disabled. I just can report that one of the problems seems to be this line here:

"sdhci: slot0: unknownd controller version (1) you may experience problems"

and something more:

"mmcblk0: p1 exceeds device capacity"

and some other thing:

"attempt to access beyond the end of device
    mmcblk0: rw=0, wnat 153577760, limit 7781376
    Buffer I/0 error on device mmcblk0p1, logical block 15357697 attempt to access beyond end of device"

This is GREEK to me, I can't understand absolutely NOTHING!!!

Help me please!

criskeune, Sep 28, 2008
  5. criskeune

macles

Someone sold you a fake SDHC. The cards reports itself as a 8GB card, but is only 4GB. Linux tries to access the 8GB as reported, but fails because the last 4GB simply don't exist. That's what the last error means.

macles, Sep 28, 2008
  6. criskeune

kevin

If you know nothing about Linux, why don't you find a Windows machine, or a person with a Windows machine, or a person with a digital camera that takes SD cards, and try the card there? It seems to me that you're blaming Linux for what appears to be a faulty card. It might be that it _is_ an 8GB card, but somehow somebody has stuck a broken partition table on it. You can fix that easily enough. I could tell you how to do it in Linux, but I think you'd be better of doing it with a Windows machine if you understand that better.

kevin, Sep 28, 2008
  7. criskeune

criskeune

No, no, no, I am not blaming Linux for nothing ... Except for the fact that I don't know very much about this O.S. I am satsified with it, because I think it has more stability than Windows (never "freezes", it's faster, etc). I am just annoyed with the fact that this card is not being recognized by the system. I have a Windows "normal" laptop (HP Pavilion), but it's a bit old, and it has no memory card slots, and my digital camera is a Sony, which works only with Memory Stick Pro Duo cards, so I cannot have right now (sunday) the confirmation of the state of this hell of SDHC card ... I am cmplaining about the seller, to say the thruth. It's seeem now obivous to me that she sold me a fake SDHC card. Even so, I am afraid to pay for another SDHC "original" card, which is not very cheap, and to find out that the AAO cannot recognizes it ...

Just to ask a question, if the card is original, withou problems, with the correct specifications (SDHC 8 GB, class 6), my Acer One must be able to recognizes it withou problems? It would be mounted witout erros?

Thanks in advance

Cristina

criskeune, Sep 28, 2008
  8. criskeune

kevin

It's a fair question. I've tried quite a few SDHC cards in my AA1, and all work fine. It's worthing seeing what other people say, but my feeling is that if you buy from a reputable seller, most likely you'll get something that works, and the seller will probably give you a refund if it doesn't.

The problem, I suppose, is that it costs a bit more to buy from someone with a reputation, on-line or anywhere else. It's just about possible that your card is not broken, but just badly formatted. This is probably fixable in Linux if that is indeed the problem. If it were my card, I would try first to create a new partition table using fdisk -- but my point was that if you can use or borrow a Windows machine, and you're familiar with Windows, you'll probably find it easier to use a Windows utility than struggle with something unfamiliar.

I'm sorry that I can't be very helpful here -- it's almost certainly a broken card, it seems to me :(

kevin, Sep 28, 2008
  9. criskeune

criskeune

I tried to create new partition or reformat it with Gparted (as I saw suggested here in one other topic), but there was always an error message. It does not work ... did not work. I also tried fdisk plus something that I saw here in these topics too, but it did not work. I will try to find a usb card reader tomorrow so I can see what's going wrong in a Windows PC. In fact, I have bought ir from a not so much reliable internet seller. I mean, things like e-bay. Anyway, as for the law of my contry, she must return my money until next Friday. If she does not, I can demand her at judgment, and I can ask for refund to the site like e-bay.

criskeune, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question