sd slot

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by loopyoyo, Jul 14, 2008.

1. loopyoyo

KiNG

boys and girls calm down ;)

KiNG, Jul 19, 2008
  2. loopyoyo

fixerman

I am very pleased to hear that SDHC cards will work but I am surprised to see that the official Aspire One website states in FAQ section that the maximum card size is 8GB and that it will not support SDHC at launch but maybe at a future date by using "Live Update". Very strange! :?:

Sorry! I'm new to this forum stuff! I have just read the previous contributions but I am still confused. As a non expert will my Aspire One, when it is delivered, support SDHC or not? :oops:

fixerman, Jul 20, 2008
  3. loopyoyo

Duke

SDHC works(?) on Ubuntu, not Linux or XP (a future update will fix it).

Duke, Jul 20, 2008
  4. loopyoyo

fixerman

Thanks for the clarification. Yesterday I took delivery of two 8GB SDHC cards in readiness for my One! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

fixerman, Jul 20, 2008
  5. loopyoyo

lala

Ok so in a future update we can use the sdhc format is the live update the same for people thats gonna get the xp version or is it a diffrent way to update it when it is relased

lala, Jul 20, 2008
  6. loopyoyo

lotus49

The approach to updating will be OS dependent.

The standard Linpus distro is tailored by Acer so they provide updates directly. If you were to install Ubuntu (which is generally more suitable for people who know Linux better as it is much easier to customise and is a proper complete Linux distro) then any updates would either require recompilation of modules or updating using apt-get.

With XP there are likely to be two possibilities, either downloading drivers from Acer's site or made available through Windows Update. The first approach is far more likely as it's simpler (and probably cheaper) for Acer, so keep your eyes peeled and when drivers are available for XP someone is bound to post something here.

lotus49, Jul 20, 2008
  7. loopyoyo

aos

16G SD card (class 6) is only CDN$47 on sale here in Canada so it's certainly not unreasonable (disproportionate to the A1 price) to use one.

aos, Jul 21, 2008
  8. loopyoyo

pdelacosta

Yeah, but can you use it with Linpus? Or does it only recognize 8G? Has anybody tried 16G with Linpus in One?
    I was thinking of buying 16G for my One(when it finally arrives...), but if it ain't working... :?

pdelacosta, Jul 21, 2008
  9. loopyoyo

lala

Ah ok thnx lotus

lala, Jul 21, 2008
  10. loopyoyo

rocketpunch

Hmm... I'm glad I checked here. I was going to go back to considering an Asus Eee because of the 8GB limit, and it turns out it's only a software thing. So I guess the 8 GB limit on the other card slot (the multi-card one) is ignored too, in Ubuntu?

rocketpunch, Jul 21, 2008
  11. loopyoyo

glibdud

Well, at least one person has apparently been successful:
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=254

glibdud, Jul 21, 2008
  12. loopyoyo

vzmr82

In either situation (8Gb or 16Gb) does AcerOne boot up on the left SD slot? And if so, is it feasible to install Windows XP there, running at normal speeds?... Even a dual boot with Linux on standard SSD HDD?

vzmr82, Jul 21, 2008
  13. loopyoyo

Thomas8675309

There's another thread on this topic. I don't know of anyone who's figured out a way to boot from the left (or right, for that matter) SD slot. If you learn of a way, please post it. If you're sticking with Linux distros, you can always keep the boot partitions on the SSD and put much of the rest of the distros on the SD card. Maybe you can do something similar with XP.

Thomas8675309, Jul 21, 2008
  14. loopyoyo

vzmr82

Sorry about this sort of double threading.

But booting from SD card would be very interesting. As USB is boot-enabled, maybe just formating an SD card to be bootable, we can have an answer to this question.

I will try this tomorrow...

vzmr82, Jul 22, 2008
  15. loopyoyo

Thomas8675309

The problem is that the BIOS doesn't seem to see the SD card during the boot process - when you hit F2 or F12 during boot the SD card doesn't even appear as an option. But if you figure out a way, please post it.

Cheers.

Thomas8675309, Jul 22, 2008
  16. loopyoyo

vzmr82

No luck, you are correct. It seems that only with a BIOS update we can do this. Or with some kind of program that starts from SSD, recognizes the SD card and then boots from there...

The alternative is a fast USB memory disk, or an USB HDD... maybe an 1,8" disk...

vzmr82, Jul 23, 2008
  17. loopyoyo

Sunrise

Hey, what about a USB SD card reader? (one that supports 32Gb SDHC cards, of course) wouldn't that be OS independent? They're cheap! So, if (someday) you'll buy a 32Gb SD card (or a 16Gb one) and the one supports it, you can keep it in the USB reader or in the internal reader.

Sunrise, Aug 16, 2008
Ask a Question