SD card slot on right side of computer...

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Eosblue, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Eosblue

Eosblue

Other than an extra storage space, is there any other useful reason for the SD slot on the right side of the computer? Do all the Acer Aspire One models have this slot? If I had known about it before getting my "One", I might have gone for the 8GB SSD unit. At the moment, I have a 16GB SD card in the slot which would have given me a total of 24 GB of storage and perhaps a faster computer to boot.

The primary use for my "One" is traveling and accessing the internet. The only reason I got the 160GB version was the 6 cell battery that came with it. I'm just back from my first "roadie" with the Acer and it worked great although I'm a tad disappointed with the performance in accessing the 'net. My Apple MB seems at least twice as fast in drawing pages, but I can live with the slower speed because of the form factor (very easy to carry on a trip).

Eosblue, Jan 22, 2009
  2. Eosblue

Susieville

I used the sd slot to load my pictures from my digital camera during a recent vacation and emailed the pix to friends while I was traveling

Susieville, Jan 22, 2009
  3. Eosblue

Darryl

Darryl, Jan 22, 2009
  4. Eosblue

woofer00

The left slot was originally intended as a storage expansion for the linpus version of the AAO. The card mounts flush to the case because it was never really meant to be removed. The storage expansion would look almost identical to the original hard drive, but it would simply expand the amount of available storage. The second SD slot was meant for reading whatever media you might need, hence the multi-card reading capabilities.

Eventually the AAO went on to include a hard drive version, which negated the need for a storage expansion slot since so much space was now natively available. However, some people use the storage expansion slot as a permanent mount for an SD card marked for ReadyBoost to improve performance by a bit.

woofer00, Feb 18, 2009
  5. Eosblue

Puru

Yeah that's right...I use the slot on the left for readyboost...had a spare 512MB card lying around...and anyway having two slots does not do any harm does it ;)

Puru, Feb 21, 2009
Ask a Question