Script to run firefox from ramdrive?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by superfastkyle, Feb 18, 2009.

1. superfastkyle

superfastkyle

So here is my brilliant idea. Since I have one of the really slow intel ssd's I've been trying and trying to decent performance out of firefox. The only way I've found so far is to hack the registry and move the entire user directory to a sd card . But tried that and burnt out two cheap sd cards and had to reformat each time : ( So I had this brilliant idea to run firefox portable edition solely from a ramdrive. Since this is what I use 90% of the time its worth using up some ram.

Firstly I'm using the ramdisk located here http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/2 ... 03-server/ which comes with a nice gui for changing size/drive letter.

Now I want a command to run at startup and copy firefox portable from c:\FirefoxPortable to z:\FirefoxPortable (ramdrive)
    and also a command to copy back at shutdown z:\firefoxportable to c:\firefoxportable

Here's what I have so far
    shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\xcopy.exe c:\FirefoxPortable z:\FirefoxPortable\ /s /y
    I put this in c:\windows\system32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup where it doesn't seem to work. It works if I manually run it so maybe its trying to run the command before the ramdisk is initialized? Or does it have to be a batch file?

shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\xcopy.exe z:\FirefoxPortable c:\FirefoxPortable\ /s /y
    I put this in c:\windows\system32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Shutdown. It also doesn't seem to run

I was thinking I could just put a shortcut to the firefox exe in startup in start menu because its the last thing to load correct? Shortcuts have an option for minimize but that also doesn't seem to work

I tried a batch file first to do xcopy and then load firefox, but then I couldn't firgure out how to make the command prompt to go away when it was done. I added exit at the end but that doesn't seem to close it unless you close firefox

thanks for any help, I hope you understand the gist of what I'm trying to do here

superfastkyle, Feb 18, 2009
  2. superfastkyle

superfastkyle

well I think I got it

I didn't realize you had to open gpedit.msc and actually add the script to be run
    At the sacrifice of 64mb of ram I think firefox is way faster than my desktop now!

also realized firefox can't be run with the local machine startup script. it will run and you won't be able to see it!

Still cant get firefox to open automatically minimized. guess I will have to live with that.

superfastkyle, Feb 18, 2009
Ask a Question