Screen resolution and virtual desktop switching - XP

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by sandman, Dec 9, 2008.

1. sandman

sandman

I have released the 1024x600 fixed resolution limit and now have a wide variety of screen resolutions available via a virtual desktop. Some programs require 1024x768 to run or be fully visible on the (virtual) desktop and these programs will now run fine on my AA1. I am further aware of small utilities out there which can be used to handle screen resolution changes, but have not tried them because for my needs they do not seem very elegant and may conflict with SW/drivers. Here are my questions/problems:

1. When I set the resolution to 1024x768 it reverts back to 1024x600 upon reboot. I like the additional real estate that the higher resolution gives me and would like to be able to pick a default other than 1024x600 (1024x768 in my case).

2. AA1 only uses F1 through F8 (in conjunction with the Fn key). As far as I am aware, F9 and F10 are not used. It would in my view be very useful to be able to use these two function keys to switch between two preset resolutions. In my case I might use F9 for 1024x600 and F10 for 1024 by 768. It is my understanding that the launch manager controls the function keys and hence may have to be hacked. In case of a successful hack, my question 1. becomes somewhat superfluous.

Anybody with the time and knowledge out there who like me might see sufficient benefit in my suggestion to try to tackle it? I have done several searches and found nothing that addressed this topic. If I somehow missed it I apologize in advance.

sandman, Dec 9, 2008
Ask a Question