Screen isn't detected if lid is closed on startup

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by yingted, Mar 13, 2010.

1. yingted

yingted

Hi I'm new!
    Fedora 12 (tested with two most recent kernels)
    Description: display doesn't detect if the LCD is closed on startup, around the udev stage. A strange catch is that this started after trying to run HFS explorer in wine (java program), when the screen blanked. There is no backlignt. hfsx crashed, but the wine server was still up, as I found out from ssh. Trying the function keys and rebooting with the lid closed is useless. This never happened before, as I always start up with the lid closed, and have never had this problem. What is more interesting is that, when the lid is up during startup, the lsmod stays the same but the dmesg changes a lot in a few places. When the display is no working, the /proc/acpi/.../state is correct for the lid. There is only /dev/fb instead of the usual /dev/fb0 as well. Mknod'ing it (c 29 0) and chowning to 1:39 doesn't do anything. One last interesting thing is that another, completely independent install of the same fedora and kernel experiences the same problem after attempting to use hfsx on wine on only one install, leading me to believe it's not all Fedora's fault.

Any suggestions? I've tried every combo of either install, the latest 2 kernels, and button presses (acer fn keys)

btw the admin should know he/she has a security hole in the downloads' file browser on the main page. ./.. and etcetera are accepted and shown.

EDIT: Did more testing. It seems that ssh'ing in and running:
    rmmod i915 && modprobe i915 && init 5
    makes the screen work IF the lid is open. If it's closed, this does absolutely nothing
    If the screen is fixed like this, all graphical actions take extremely long, but ssh and tty access is still fast.
    Also, nomodeset doesn't help.

yingted, Mar 13, 2010
Ask a Question