Screen flicker on LCD at dimmest setting?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by DarrenHD, Aug 12, 2008.

1. DarrenHD

DarrenHD

Ok, dim your LCD down as far as you can (FN + left arrow key). Do you notice any screen flicker? I see that on mine, it is very slight, but noticable. Try to have something on the screen that is white or a bright colour...do you notice it, too? I don't notice it at the other brightness levels, yet...Maybe it is a Vista thing. I am running Vista Ultimate.

DarrenHD, Aug 12, 2008
  2. DarrenHD

Sid

Sorry I don't see it on Linpus.

Sid, Aug 12, 2008
  3. DarrenHD

janss

I've noticed it too sometimes when I'm on battery and the screen is on the dimmest setting. It doesn't do it every time, just sometimes.. That has lead me to think it has something to do with how much voltage the computer is drawing at that moment.

And I'm running Linpus.

janss, Aug 12, 2008
  4. DarrenHD

Beldar

No flickering here.

Beldar, Aug 12, 2008
  5. DarrenHD

caydr

I've got XP SP3 installed here on a 1gig/HDD/XP version, I've noticed occasional flickering. I didn't notice it until just very recently, but this might be because:
    -I just got it yesterday! (but have used it for... about 8 hours?)
    -I was previously running the standard XP that comes with the machine, I'm now using an NLite'd build which may have some odd side effects (works fine on a couple other computers)
    -There's currently a severe thunderstorm outside and I wonder if this might somehow affect some electronics? Laptop's not plugged in, btw.
    -It's been on AC power until just recently

Dunno if any of those things might be factors.... kinda useless post, huh? One more person who has the problem, anyway.

caydr, Aug 15, 2008
  6. DarrenHD

macles

Did you try updating the BIOS?

1. Update new Brightness table for AU Panel issue.

macles, Aug 15, 2008
  7. DarrenHD

bennyzhou

Change internal hdd might solve this problem

See

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1596

Hope Acer will release new bios that enable ACHI so that we can get NCQ for the SATA HDD.

NCQ+AAM will give magnetic head smoothest movement

bennyzhou, Aug 20, 2008
  8. DarrenHD

judeh101

AHCI makes the hard drive so much slower though......

judeh101, Aug 20, 2008
  9. DarrenHD

phoenix

i searched for a topic on this for a while but must have missed it :roll:

paying lots of attention to it, i believe its very possible it could be HDD related
    however, i also sometimes notice it when i tap the mouse pad (however not when using the keyboard)
    though it usually does seem to be related to when the HDD is being operated
    it only seems to happen (or is noticeable) on the lower few brightness settings, but as 75% of the time im using it in a dark room, i would rather keep it on lowest

at first i was wondering if it was a defective screen/unit, as iv been searching about this for a while, and have came up with no discussions or comments in any reviews about it, however if it was a defective screen/unit, i would assume it would flicker on highest brightness as well (unless again its just not noticeable?)

id be a lot less worried if many people were noticing it, id hate to have to send it back to acer for repairs (if it were only some units doing this)

just for reference i have the white 150 with winxp 1gig ram and 120gb HDD, original h/w and OS, problem occurs on both battery and AC

phoenix, Aug 20, 2008
  10. DarrenHD

janss

The screen on my One flickers a bit too, and it's the SSD model...

janss, Aug 20, 2008
  11. DarrenHD

phoenix

My HDD is not a Seagate, it is a Hitachi HTS543212L9A300

janss, yours isnt a canadian model by any chance is it?

edit: also, have you tried turning off the auto CPU power management? i read you can do that with the linux models, and its possible that this could be a power issue?

phoenix, Aug 20, 2008
  12. DarrenHD

janss

Not Canadian, it's a Finnish model.

Haven't tried any fixes to it yet, because it only appears sometimes when on battery and lowest brightness setting, and I usually use up few notches, so it hasn't actually bothered me that much as of yet, but I did notice it once when I was in a bus.

janss, Aug 20, 2008
  13. DarrenHD

SbM

My One's screen flickers too at the lowest settings. I haven't done the BIOS upgrade yet, might solve the issue.

SbM, Aug 20, 2008
  14. DarrenHD

phoenix

my BIOS came as the newest, i doubt it will fix the problem

its not that it bothers me so much that i cant live with it, its more that if this problem only affects some people, that these units could be defective or run into other backlight related problems
    it seems some people have said they dont have this issue, wether or not they just dont notice is a different story
    but if this means it is a problem only some units are having, it would be nice to know before they can no longer be exchanged (much easier than shipping to acer for warranty)

phoenix, Aug 20, 2008
  15. DarrenHD

bennyzhou

I has two models. The Samsung SSD version doesn't have this problem. Only 120 GB HDD version has.

bennyzhou, Aug 20, 2008
  16. DarrenHD

SbM

My model is the one with the Intel SSD, and the screen flickers at the lowest settings.

SbM, Aug 20, 2008
  17. DarrenHD

bennyzhou

Has anyone tried to run without battery? That gives me no flicker. I have a 2200Mah

bennyzhou, Aug 20, 2008
  18. DarrenHD

nicolas

I haven't tested a lot yet, but my screen flickered in lower brightness settings while playing audio. It was clearly correlated (the screen dimmed with louder sounds). I was using the AAO on the battery.

As far as I know I have the Samsung model (something like PSSD on the BIOS right?).

In brighter modes there is no problem.

nicolas, Aug 20, 2008
  19. DarrenHD

SbM

I'd guess PSSD means Parallel SSD. You'll get this with the Intel version as well.

SbM, Aug 20, 2008
  20. DarrenHD

Vandura

Hello !

I´ve the same problem. Screen flickers on my 150X at the lower brightness settings, between the lowest and the third setting. I´ve a Western Digital 120 GB HDD installed. But it flickers too, when i use the touchpad or play sound. At higher settings it works fine.

Sorry for my terrible english.....

Vandura, Aug 21, 2008
Ask a Question