Screen bezel scratching

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by TechnicianX, Nov 6, 2008.

1. TechnicianX

TechnicianX

Hi everyone.

I recently (about three weeks ago) bought an Acer AOA150 to replace my durable but very heavy IBM Thinkpad R32.

So far I'm very pleased with most things and I've even got Vista running on it with Aero (although naturally I stick to XP for normal work). My biggest gripe with Aspire One is the fact that the screen and bezel get smudged and dirty so easily. I end up cleaning it quite often because of this however, at some point while cleaning I've ended up scratching the screen bezel. I almost always use the microfibre cloth from my Samsung LCD to clean it but I can remember using a tissue once which is probably when I screwed it. The scratches themselves are light and I can't actually feel them but in most lighting conditions they are very visible. With this being my first new laptop it's getting quite depressing knowing that I've damaged it in less than a month.

What I'd like to ask of all you is, do you think there's any way I can polish or remove the scratches safely? The screen itself is fine, only the bezel has the scratches. I've been to the site for Aspire One parts which is listed in this forum elsewhere and found a replacement bezel but the shipping price is quoted at over $170 (NZD) to send it to New Zealand (where I live). I've asked for an alternative but until they can give me one I'd really like to know if there's some way I can fix this up at a cost slightly less than that.

TechnicianX, Nov 6, 2008
  2. TechnicianX

Tamrac

That's the problem with smooth plastic surfaces... they easily get smudged and scratched. Nothing we can do about it. :(

Tamrac, Nov 6, 2008
  3. TechnicianX

donec

Car wax may solve both problems.

donec, Nov 6, 2008
  4. TechnicianX

yachtpro

There is actually a car wax out there that takes on the color of the vehicle paint to fill in fine scratches. It used to be sold on TV, but you should be able to find it in a good auto parts store, or look in the Yellow Pages for a supplier to the PROFESSIONAL auto body and paint trade (NOT Maco!) The only thing that scares me is that it might contain some sort of micro grit (how else would it take on the color of the original paint?) Keep in mind that supposedly the Acer One is coated with a CLEAR finish over the plastic parts as has been told in other posts in this forum when people, for whatever reason, wanted to remove the Acer logos from their machines. The logo is buried between the plastic shell and the clear coating. Probably best to leave it alone and live with it. I did the same thing in almost the same place (screen bezel) using a piece of a 100% cotton T-shirt that had been washed about a zillion times. Bought a micro fiber cloth at Wally World too late.
    FYI: Micro fiber cloth at Wal-Mart (Allsop brand) about 4" square for $3.97 + tax. Google Rasco Janitorial or search for same name on eBay - they sell a 3-pack of 13" square micro fiber cloths for $2.95 and free shipping (I just ordered mine last night.)

yachtpro, Dec 30, 2008
  5. TechnicianX

speekergeek

Meguiars (sp?) makes a plastic polish for headlights, the plastic ones of course :lol: but it worked great on a shiny plastic handle for a stove, can imagine it will work for the bezel.

speekergeek, Jan 1, 2009
  6. TechnicianX

caulktel

I second that, here in the states Wal-Mart sells a product called Plastx, it is sold in the automotive section, it is exactly like the Meguiars but cheaper. I think it works better also, In have completely removed the fine scratches from a used iPod that i bought and polished all the scratches from my watch crystal and many other things. I think it would work good for yours.

caulktel, Jan 1, 2009
  7. TechnicianX

jackluo923

try toothpaste and light finger rubbing, then damp microfiber cloth. that will get rid of most of the small scratches

jackluo923, Jan 10, 2009
  8. TechnicianX

kram

I had the same exact problem! I always used a microfiber cloth and one day I noticed I had a bunch of scratches that were only visible from certain angles or lighting conditions. one of my gripes :x

kram, Jan 10, 2009
  9. TechnicianX

TechnicianX

Hi again everyone.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, they're very helpful. I will try locating products similar to the ones you have mentioned out in the stores here, I'm pretty sure one of the auto or hardware shops will stock them. In the meanwhile I'll give the toothpaste idea a go with my new cleaning kit that has a microfibre cloth in it. I mistook the one which came with my TV for cleaning the bezel as one but I believe it was a paper towel that might've caused the damage...

Now to hope notebook manufacturers will stop using this low quality glossy material and either do it properly like Apple or stick with shells like IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads do (which I specifically mention as my own R32 is as tough as a tank).

TechnicianX, Jan 10, 2009
  10. TechnicianX

rpeters83

anyone have luck with any of the products mentioned here? thanks!

rpeters83, Mar 4, 2009
  11. TechnicianX

Scissors

I've been thinking about buying a new bezel and protecting it.
    Anyone think THIS would work?
    Allot of people comment my One, I'd like it too look good. //I think I'm becoming a show off.

Eventually I'm gonna buy a whole new case along with this thing here and apply it right away. // I assume it's applied with the same procedures as vinyl.

Scissors, Mar 4, 2009
  12. TechnicianX

GvidoR

I also have a lot of scratches on my bezel but I don't know why!?
    I'm thinking of getting a skin, that would also cover the bezel.

GvidoR, Mar 4, 2009
  13. TechnicianX

Scissors

Maybe I should buy a new case.
    A small part broke off, UGLY!

Scissors, Mar 6, 2009
  14. TechnicianX

AspireOneFan

Novus Plastic Polish and Protector. Try an application of Novus 2 followed by an applicaton of Novus 1. Novus 3 is intended for acrylics and and deeply scratched plastics.

AspireOneFan, Mar 13, 2009
  15. TechnicianX

Scissors

For those that do not know that stuff,
    Here's a link:
    http://novusplasticpolish.net/Novus_Plastic_Polish/

Scissors, Mar 18, 2009
Ask a Question